North winds at St. Marks...

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Surfguy

Post by Surfguy »

Hello all,
I've heard that North winds are bad for fishing in the St. Marks area. Is this true, and if so, why? Are there any strategic alternatives that one can make while the north winds are blowing? By the way, I'm speaking of fishing in the 2-12' depth range. Thanks!
SG
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

When fishing St. Marks area with a north wind the 12' water you are referring to may well be 2'.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Jumptrout is right when that north wind is in conjunction with a full moon. What I have found is that a lot of times in this situation the fish, particularly reds, trout and flounder, will be concentrated in the deeper holes at the mouths of the tidal creeks. Getting to them is the problem. What I have done is run up to near the hole I want to fish while the tide is falling, but still high enough to get the boat in there. Then stay through the low tide until it gets high enough again to get out. I have found the best fishing to be after the low when the water starts moving again. The only thing I have ever caught doing this when it's dead low is catfish. Stealth, near the hole you want to fish, is important. You don't want to scare all the fish out of that hole when it's too shallow to move the boat anywhere else. Not every hole will hold fish under these conditions, but the ones that have fish in them will be very good.