Silent Running

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Silent Running

Post by silverking »

....and a sore butt and arms.

OK, I'll admit it. I've embraced the dark side. :wink: Recently bought the Native Watercraft kayak that was listed here and today was the maiden voyage after having a tailgate extension built (by Metal Fabrication :thumbup: ) and some other rigging done. My goal was to get a feel for how it handled, with fishing a bonus. Good thing, 'cause it was slow. The yak tracks well and is very stable. It has a tunnel design and I was able to float in water no deeper than my hand. Will take a little getting used to the drift and anchoring aspects, but overall I'm stoked. Should be able to stand on occasion once I get my balance.

Launched at Wakulla Beach around 7:30. There were two other kayaks and a canoe there and before I got back in I passed another 9. So much for uncrowded water. It was a holiday, though, and everyone was friendly. Tide was falling hard and I paddled out to the big oyster bar hoping to find a red. Tons of mullet everywhere, along with some glass minnows. Water is still stained, but clearing. No idea of temperature, but the drips felt warm. Saw a school of jacks harassing bait out towards Shell Point but they were gone quickly. Worked my way back into the mouth of Goose Creek and had two good blow-ups on the Hall 'em In Hitchcock (white/red head) topwater, but no contact. Neither trout would come back for more.

Had a turtle surface right next to me and I paddled real close to several wading/foraging birds. The yak is definitely stealthy, but not that much quieter than when I'm poling the boat. Gain a few inches on the draft vs. the boat, though.

Tide had totally bottomed out as I made my way back to the ramp. Pushed a couple nice wakes out of the grass/sand but it was too skinny and grassy to work the plug. The DOA glow shrimp earlier only produced one timid tap. The other anglers I talked to hadn't done anything either. It might have picked up with the incoming water, but I wanted to get back to see the Braves beat the Rockies. I won't be putting the Bayshore on the market anytime soon, but this new addition to the Silverking fleet has a lot of potential, especially this winter. But before I go again I'm going to come up with some padding for the seat frame. That aluminum tubing don't give!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Silent Running

Post by Jumptrout51 »

the dark side 8)
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Yacking = 2X Stealth :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I hit your usual boat spot and scored. I don't know why I have passed that area and never fished it. By the way, If anyone finds a really beat up pink Skitterwalk, would kinda like it back. You can keep the big ol' Red it was attached to.
You are the second person I have talked to this week that has made it over to the dark side. I hope it is not contagious.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Welcome to the brotherhood Capt!! Let's paddle together one day soon.
Team Jolly Mon
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Wait a month or so and I may join you, Dave. With the negative tides in the winter, the yaks can be downright unfair with skinny water schooling redfish on the flats.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Talltails wrote::thumbup: :thumbup:

Wait a month or so and I may join you, Dave.
I am ready to see that Native in action!
Team Jolly Mon
killswitch

Post by killswitch »

I won't be putting the Bayshore on the market anytime soon, but this new addition to the Silverking fleet has a lot of potential, especially this winter.

Same here Capt..............I'm holding on to my KW 1720, but this ride 115 I picked up last month definitely has lots of potential. Getting the hang of it up here on the lake, but it will need a salt splash soon. Missed out on this last flood tide on the Ga coast, but may try and sneak down that way next month or two. Just don't get down that way as much anymore.....................might have to change that now. :D Good luck w/ the new ride. :thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Congrats on the new ride Capt Dave. I think you will find standing is easier than you think. May want to consider the " seat perch" or seat riser to make standing easier from a sitting position. If we get enough water we may be doing some duck hunts out of the yak on lakes that don't allow motors. If your interested let me know.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

killswitch, those tailers are a blast and the yak will get you in the zone. There will be times when I use mine to get to wading spots.

Salty Gator wrote: If we get enough water we may be doing some duck hunts out of the yak on lakes that don't allow motors. If your interested let me know.
The previous owner duck hunted from mine a lot, SG. He even cut a notch in one of the paddle blades to retrieve his decoys. Unfortunately, hunting is not politically correct in my house, so I'll just keep on torturing fish. :wink:

Thanks for all the comments.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Well I guess welcome to the darkside, is the appropiate response. WELCOME! Its challenging,, but its fun. U will definately "FEEL" closer to nature. And IM not jus
t t
alking about a wet butt. I bring along a change of clothes in my truck so Il have a dry ride home. I LOVE IT! Landing a decent sized fish is truly more difficult from a sitting position. Look forward to some fishing reports on this site.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

[quote="luceror"]Well I guess welcome to the darkside, is the appropiate response. WELCOME! Its challenging,, but its fun. U will definately "FEEL" closer to nature. And IM not jus
t t
alking about a wet butt. I bring along a change of clothes in my truck so Il have a dry ride home. I LOVE IT! Landing a decent sized fish is truly more difficult from a sitting position. Look forward to some fishing reports on this site.[/quote

Capt Dave got an ultimate. No wet butt!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

[quote="luceror"]Well I guess welcome to the darkside, is the appropiate response. WELCOME! Its challenging,, but its fun. U will definately "FEEL" closer to nature. And IM not jus
t t
alking about a wet butt. I bring along a change of clothes in my truck so Il have a dry ride home. I LOVE IT! Landing a decent sized fish is truly more difficult from a sitting position. Look forward to some fishing reports on this site.[/quote

Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Not from seawater anyways