NFGFC Tourny boat sunk

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: NFGFC Tourny boat sunk

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Direct from the FWC weekly report:

--------------------
Officer Percy Cook responded to a vessel in distress at East Pass. The vessel captain phoned 911 to report that his vessel was taking on water and was sinking fast. Winds were out of the southwest at 20 knots with seas of four–six feet. As Officer Cook launched his vessel, the captain phoned 911 again and advised his vessel had capsized, and he was now adrift in the water wearing a blue personal floatation device. At this point, all communications were lost with the captain. Officer Cook arrived on scene and began a search grid. He located the vessel captain a short time later and pulled him from the rough seas to the safety of the patrol vessel.
--------------------

I will have to say, FWC dropped the ball by not broadcasting a Boater In Distress call. Also, the report does not account for the over one hour lapse from first 911 call to contact with boater by FWC. And once again, the boater did make a bad decision to go across that rough bay in those conditions.

Be your own judge here.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Well I guess you can sugar coat anything. BTW It's Woody (Percy) Cook who is the Hero.

We had another boat go down last night. The Dirty Pool Sunk 25 miles out of Carrabelle. They Called the Coast Guard and things happened quickly. Helo plucked them out of the water (at night) and returned them to saftey at the Applach Airport. All 6 souls on board were able to walk off the helo.
Here is the story

Coast Guard rescues six from Gulf of Mexico near Carabelle, Fla.
NEW ORLEANS – The Coast Guard rescued six people from the Gulf of Mexico, approximately 25 miles from Carabelle, Fla., Saturday.
At approximately 4:30 a.m., watch-standers at Coast Guard Sector Mobile, Ala., received a call from 43-foot vessel Dirty Pool reporting that the vessel was taking on water. The vessel had launched from Carabelle at 7:30 p.m., Friday, with six people aboard for a fishing trip. Shortly after the initial notification, Sector Mobile received two automatic notifications from Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons in the vicinity of the Dirty Pool’s reported location.
Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Fla., launched an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter and crew and located the six individuals in the water 25 miles offshore. The group used marine signal flares to alert the Coast Guard crew to their location. All six people were wearing life-jackets.
“The rescued crew members demonstrated exceptional preparedness, greatly expediting our recovery efforts,” said Chief Petty Officer Brenda Doris, a search and rescue coordinator at Sector Mobile. “This serves as a reminder to all mariners that preparedness and proper safety gear are critical.”
The aircrew transported the six individuals to awaiting emergency medical service personnel at Apalachicola Bay Municipal Airport in Franklin County, Fla. All six people were able to walk off the aircraft unassisted.
kirt

Post by kirt »

Was this a commercial or rec trip? We tried to go out yesterday morning and were greeted by wind and rain in the bay. 4-6 footers in pass so we turned around as there were multiple squalls out 60-70 miles. Turned out to be pretty good weather from the looks later that day but we just didnt want to take the chance. I wonder if it was rough weather or a malfunction that took the 43 foot boat down
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

kirt wrote:Was this a commercial or rec trip? We tried to go out yesterday morning and were greeted by wind and rain in the bay. 4-6 footers in pass so we turned around as there were multiple squalls out 60-70 miles. Turned out to be pretty good weather from the looks later that day but we just didnt want to take the chance. I wonder if it was rough weather or a malfunction that took the 43 foot boat down
The boat we are talking about in this thread is from Sept 8th.
kirt

Post by kirt »

referring to tidedancer's post above
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

kirt wrote:Was this a commercial or rec trip? We tried to go out yesterday morning and were greeted by wind and rain in the bay. 4-6 footers in pass so we turned around as there were multiple squalls out 60-70 miles. Turned out to be pretty good weather from the looks later that day but we just didnt want to take the chance. I wonder if it was rough weather or a malfunction that took the 43 foot boat down
Recreational trip, in supposed 5-6' seas.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

This is an archive of the weather at that time. Does not to seem too bad 25 miles south of Carrabelle....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.