Gheenoe & Riverhawk: Give me the skinny

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

Gheenoe & Riverhawk: Give me the skinny

Post by Badbagger »

Been toying with the idea of picking up a project boat this winter. Either a Gheenoe Classic or the 16' Riverhawk.

For those that have either, how do you like them?

Also being that I'm not overly familiar with places to get "skinny", without running down the road for more than an hour or so,
where have you put yours to use?

I'm kinda partial to Specks and Reds and if there are some decent and reasonably close by
skinny water holes, I may just pickup a project. Just don't want to have to drive half a day lol.

Thanks for the help!

BB
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Gheenoe & Riverhawk: Give me the skinny

Post by MudDucker »

I've had both. Not much difference between the two structurally. The gheenoe's seem to have a better finish from the factory.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I used to own a 16' highsider Gheenoe. My buddy now owns a 16' RH. No real comparrison, the RH is better for all applications; more stable, seems tougher, about the same draft despite being a bit heavier.

As for places to launch after work with without having to drive...you'll find 'em
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks for the replies, keep em' coming
bman

Post by bman »

My recommendation is look for one with a wide transom.
I've had a first generation Gheenoe and there was not room for a motor and trolling motor on the back.
I have a little Jewel- a little wider and wider back. Goes just as shallow and a lot more stable platform.
Riverhawk and several others have the wider back.

One word of caution- they are flat water boats... the low sides just cant handle rough water.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks bman, if you get a chance how about a pic?
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I agree on the wide stern if you can find one. I've had both. I have the narrow one now on a boat I found in a yard for sale way out in the country and got a great deal on. You can't put both an outboard and trolling motor back there like said, and it doesn't seem to paddle or handle any better than the wide one to me.
I have the 15 footer Gheenoe and I built a wooden rail frame to fit in the pick up bed that hangs out the back for when I don't want to haul a trailer around. It's not easy getting the boat in the truck bed stern first by yourself but it's possible. I bought one of those 12 volt removable winches to get it in the truck easier. Just run a cable or rope between the two rear handles in the truck bed and hook the winch onto it or onto your toolbox.
Chop or boat wakes will come over the side on these boats so put a good bilge pump in it. I wish I could come up with an idea for something store-able that would clamp to the sides to keep the splash out of the boat when running but I haven't figured out how to make something work that would be store-able.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I have the regular width 15' RH and the B60. For fishing, I highly recommend the much wider B60.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Post by GAJOEY »

I have a 16ft gheenoe and I like it a lot I have a 9.8 merc on it moves about 12 mph ..I fish with it a good bit but it is mainly my duck hunting boat. my only complaint i2 i wish the beam was wider.. I am 6'6 290lb standing up in the boat is a little unsettling for me but my buddy who is about 5'10 165 lb runs around like a deck hand on a charter boat.
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

I just picked up a RiverHawk B60 a couple of weeks ago. The wide beam makes it pretty stable, can stand up in it with no issues. With the low sides, I wouldn't feel comfortable riding in open water with it. But for lakes and creek/river fishing in the winter, it's a good setup.

Bailey :beer:
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks MUCH for all of the input. I think I'll hunt around over the cooler months for a good solid all welded Jon like a SeaArk. Damn things are built like a tank, I won't have to worry about glass repairs from things that go bump in the night. A nice WIDE 16' would be ideal with nice high gunwales which will alleviate issues from boat wakes or running in a little chop. May not get as skinny as a Gheenoe etc., but the better half will feel safer. Back in the days I use to frequent Talquin, even out there it could kick up a little chop when the wind picked up.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I thought I wanted a Gheenoe/Riverhawk too. Until I ran back into the lighthouse ramp (in my bay boat) to get ahead of a little T-storm. The Gheenoe in front of me looked like it was close to getting swamped. The 14 jon boat behind me was just tooling along with the anglers sitting back and enjoying the ride. At that point I knew the Gh/RH was not the right tool for the job I had in mind.

So......I'm looking for the right jon boat........and a Kayak.

Can't have too many boats. :)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The Jon is a lot less wet than my old riverhawk with any chop.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
konrad

Post by konrad »

I have a Gheenoe style boat and a 14 Jon. The Jon is faster, dryer and much easier to fish out of. The only thing the Gheenoe is better at is paddling and if that's what I want to do I'll take out my kayak.
landcroc

Post by landcroc »

I purchased a River Hawk Kingfisher Model up in Winder GA at Factory back in 2006. This model I believe has the raised deck which makes it a little different from the B-60. Have a 25 Hp motor, and oversized poling platform......(6'5'....250lbs). Poles like a dream.

We took it down to the Everglades a few years back and it did great. Not made for rough water......I added more flotation....bilge pump and sealed the deck where it would self bail to some degree.....best thing is to plan that exit strategy if the weather turns. I like to make sure I have creeks I can duck into or islands or points where I can get out of the wind. I pay a lot of attention to weather forecast, wind direction, tide.

I tried the Gheenoe with a poling platform.....too shakey and unstable for me. I do think the Gheenoe is a better quality boat. With two adults the RH with a 25HP will run at about 22mph...comfortably. I added some rod holders and allum decking to cover rods and help with channeling any water or splash over the side. Not a lot of room for stuff......but very easy to work with if you use your coolers for seats, storage and casting platforms.

Most folks who fish with me are amazed at how stable the boat is. Small size does make some folks nervous....but I figure I am typically fishing in 5' or less......extra flotation, multiple coolers, and duck tape in case we hit a rock and crack the bottom or side.......I can always wade back to shore!

I did kick the motor up a notch by moving the notch pin back a couple of holes and that made all the difference in the world for cutting down on bow splash.

Love mine...but very limiting if the weather is not right.......for the money....very functional boat. Boat tracks well when poling. Very shallow. Flat bottom, so you will get some hull slap if you get in a chop but still quieter than a Jon.

Just my opinion and observations...hope it is helpful.
Have Fly Rod......Will Travel.