Buyer Beware!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Buyer Beware!

Post by CSMarine »

Since I joined the BBF site in 2002, I've made some very good friends. It has always amazed me, that so many good folks could be found here. When I lost my brother a couple years ago, I received more comforting words from my friends here than any where else. In 2005, when I was close to dying, my friends here were there with moral and financial assistance. When I needed a lawn mower and couldn't find one I could afford, a member here at BBF just GAVE me one free of charge. A mower that is valued at about $600.00, free... from one fishing friend to another, no strings attached. Over the years I've witnessed it time and time again. People here lending a helping hand to others in need.
Now, enough mushy stuff. I'm sad to say, I've been burned by a member here. I'm posting this as a warning to my friends here. Sadly, not everyone here is to be trusted! I won't give names. It's not my intention to bash anyone here, just to warn you.
I bought an outboard from a member who had it posted in the BBF "For Sale" section. I trusted him because he was a fellow BBF member. I never thought in a million years anyone here would take advantage of another member. I never saw it crank before I bought it because I had to meet the man in a parking lot two and a half hours from my house, which was the half way point of our houses. If it had been any other add from any other web site, I'd never have trusted him to tell the truth about the motor.
Every thing he said was a lie. It ended up costing me $700.00 extra just to get it running. The extra stuff he advertised to come with the motor was just more BS. The fuel tank that was to come with the motor still hasn't been received.
When I email him, he won't return the message. He is basically hiding!
A $650.00 motor has now cost me almost $1,500.00, and I'm still missing the fuel tank.
So, just a warning to my friends here, maybe it's time we have to start being more aware of each other, and not be so trusting of folks here. There are people here now who will rip you off if your not careful.
Again, this post is not to throw mud at anyone, just to warn those of you who, like me are too trusting of some of the people we have met here at BBF.

(A Marine....The best friend a man can have, or the worst enemy!)

salute2
Semper Fi
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Buyer Beware!

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That's too bad, I remember seeing that listing. Sometimes we have folks drop in here just to sell stuff and I have always been suspicious of that. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff off this site. It is a sense of comfort trading with people that you trust and JT51. I'm sorry you got burned but I haven't seen that guy on here since you bought that motor.
Team Jolly Mon
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR PROBLEM, ONE THING I WILL NOT DO IS TO BUY A ENGINE OF ANY KIND UNTIL I TRY IT OUT. BY TRY IT OUT I MEAN, IF IT IS A MARINE ENGINE , PUT IT ON A BOAT AND RUN IT FOR AT LEAST 2 HOURS, ANY OTHER KIND OF ENGINE RUN IT DOWN THE ROAD AT LEAST 50 MILES AND RETURN 50 MILES. BY DOING THIS I HAVE NEVER BEEN STUNG BY ANYONE. IT THEY DO NOT WANT TO LET YOU RUN THE ENGINE, THEN YOU RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM THERE. AGAIN SORRY ABOUT THE KICKER.
PA
SEMPER FI
P.S. DID YOU LET THAT FELLA KNOW THAT MARINE'S DON'T FORGIVE OR FORGET, SEND HIM A REMINDER.
PA.
FUTCHCAIRO
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

If you feel you've gotten burned, call'm out.

No harm in it. If he/she are in the wrong, then as a community, I'm sure things can be made right. If your expectations were not clearly vocalized to the seller, then that conversation can be had as well.

I've never been one for confrontation, but as small of a community as we are, I feel it is ok to say who it is.

On most other 'larger' forums you'll have trader ratings, just as you find on eBay and other FS sites, where buyers/sellers/traders can leave ratings and review. This will just act as a review for this transaction, but in the form of a thread.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

PA,
When buying an outboard, I always try to run it at the river, or at least hear it run on a water hose. This time the man lived about six hours away. He had a very good story behind the motor. Belonged to his father-in-law who bought it new in 2000. Had to sell it because he was sick. Turned out the motor was a 1993, not a 2000. He had addvertised a 65lb thrust trolling motor that went with it. Turned out to be a 28lb thrust that didn't work. When I got the outboard, the throttle and shift cables had been cut into about a foot from the cowling. He said he forgot to bring the tank and would be coming to Keaton Beach in two weeks, and would bring it to me. Said he had a lot one street over from my place there, but couldn't tell me what street it was on.
He did answer my emails at first, then stopped.
I did, after spending over $700.00, get the motor running.

FRP,
I've bought and sold a lot of stuff here over the years also, and never once had a problem. It's too bad someone like this guy has to cause people to have to look over their shoulder in distrust at people he would normally trust.
I think he has only posted here a couple of times.

Galantnole,
I'm only posting this as a warning to other members. I have let this individule know how I feel in private emails and phone calls. I'm writting this off as an old dog still learning hard lessons. As my wife loves to remind me. "His day will come."
Semper Fi
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sorry to hear this news, CSMarine. Like Flint River Pirate, I have sold a lot of stuff on this site and I'm confident the buyers have all gotten the items as described and at a fair price, too. I prefer to sell things here rather than eBay to pass along the savings/deals to local anglers and to cut down on shipping costs. But I have noticed a growing number of posters who are listing items here after only a couple of comments and often don't post again after the item sells. So your words of advice ring true. If the member has been around awhile, however, with several dozen posts on a variety of topics (i.e. sharing instead of just asking for info), then chances are good you're dealing with a regular and someone who will be reputable. That's been my experience, at least.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

When I got the outboard, the throttle and shift cables had been cut into about a foot from the cowling
Sounds like he had to unhook the motor quickly or in the dark.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

sorry to hear this.
Pirate Girl
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Jumptrout51 wrote:When I got the outboard, the throttle and shift cables had been cut into about a foot from the cowling
Sounds like he had to unhook the motor quickly or in the dark.
Hmmmm........that would have been the first warning sign.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

BMAN, should we limit the classifieds section to site sponsors only? That might solve some of the issues? Just a thought.
Team Jolly Mon
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

First, everyones my friend but when it comes to my money nobody is my friend. As the other one has said call him out.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Here, I will call him out. Then everyone can be their own judge....And he can defend his position if he wishes.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =7&t=31635

With only 5 posts here, I would have been a little suspicious. Like CSMarine said. "Caveat Emptor"

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I am a member of another site that sells some high dollar collectible items between members. We have what is called a "Kudos" thread that members can comment on their trades or purchases.

That way we can see history of who is honest and who is happy with their purchases. By the way, it goes both ways, you can also see who the whiney purchasers are that are never happy so you know not to sell to them.

There have been some issues with trades, but since it is public, usually both parties come to an understanding and post the resolved issue.

Works well there.

Bman could put a sticky Kudos thread at the top of the "for sale" section.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
bman

Post by bman »

That stinks...

Like others have said most of my experiences with BBF guys have been great.
Like Ebay- the longer they have been around the safer you are.
But You still have to check things out before you buy.

I always run one before I buy. Drove all the way to Panama City this week and came home empty handed.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I really don't think putting limits on people who can sell in the classifieds is the answer. I blame myself for being too trusting. That's just not in my nature. I just let my guard down because of the past history of such good people here on this site. I just wanted to make people aware that even in the best of places, there are still people that's not to be trusted. Pay attention to those who have only had three post and well as those who have made three thousand post. That's progress I guess.

salute2
Semper Fi