Upper St Marks bassin'

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

J Holden

Upper St Marks bassin'

Post by J Holden »

I live on the St Marks, it been a few years since I've been up to the very end of it, so I decided to head over and do some bass fishing while I was at it. Put in the kayak at a spot maybe 3/4-1mi from where it goes underground. Landed 10 bass in 3 hours, all pretty typical river fish around 12''. Missed a bunch more. One crushed it under a dock set back in a little channel and set to doing jumps that would make a tarpon proud, that fish was way more respectable, probably 3.5-4lb but spit the hook on a jump. With around a quarter mile or so to go I couldn't even make it all the way upriver, the hydrilla and eel grass were in mats feet thick that spanned the entire river- the worst weed choking I've ever seen. Had no idea it had gotten that bad. From that point up it's pretty much unfishable by anything except punching, even the spots where you can see water have solid mats of crap 6" under the surface. It clears up quickly to just scattered mats here and there when you head downriver.

All fish came on a texas rigged zoom speed worm. Tried a buzzbait and chatterbait, no dice on either.
Bailey

Re: Upper St Marks bassin'

Post by Bailey »

Nice report. I've never been that far up river.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Maybe everyone shouldn't have bitched about the cows so bad :-D
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Gulf Coast wrote:Maybe everyone shouldn't have bitched about the cows so bad :-D
Thats what I was thinking. :thumbup:
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

"Put in the kayak at a spot maybe 3/4-1mi from where it goes underground."

Is this a public launch?

Id love to put in here as I haven't explored that far up river either. Sounds like you had a good time....too bad the weeds have choked it out. :/
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Nope, neighbor's back yard. The farthest upriver public launch is at the bridge in Newport and it's another 5+ miles to the head of the river from there... Very little fishing pressure on the upper end because it's a bitch to get to.

If you had a skinny floating boat and some time on your hands you might be able to get most of the way up the river from the bridge, there's some pontoon boats and Carolina Skiffs sitting at peoples' docks so apparently you can get them up there. I've heard there is a really shallow section a couple miles up from the bridge that is hard to get past but for the most part it seems there's at least 5+ feet in the middle of the river most of the way. Wouldn't even try to make that trip in a kayak, that current was RIPPING down there through the middle.
Last edited by J Holden on October 8th, 2012, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bman

Post by bman »

The channel follows the west side of the river... I've had a boat up there a number of times with my dad.
We have caught tons of redbreast, stumpknockers and catfish up at the boil. Glorious place.

there are a lot of rock about 3/4 of the way up so be careful with an outboard!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Too much Grass for me :wink:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Well id be in my kayak.
Thought maybe you could put in at the rise. Maybe ill hitch a ride up stream sometime and drift back down.
Lol.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I've often wondered how a high velocity fan would push a kayak :-D that may would be the place ta test it :thumbup: :smt004
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”