econfina off shore grouper, 0ct 15th, 2012

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Carlabear

econfina off shore grouper, 0ct 15th, 2012

Post by Carlabear »

Last Monday, John and I went out of Econfina to try for some of the last Gag grouper fishing for the year. Whew it was really an ordeal getting out before daylight and one I problably wouldnT do again being it was new moon and no moon light. :hammer: We did make it going very slow and shinning a spotlight on the marsh and edges of the river all the way out to the tripod. Went south at the tripod and ended up about 1 mile from the birdrack. Threw out anchor and snoozed till daylight. Youd be amazed hour inaccurate your gps track is at that slow speed and direction hard to adjust too!!! We were using our large fixed unit and also out handheld .

We got out about a mile from the south birdrack and anchored trying to catch some pin fish. All I could catch in the dark was cat fish so I waited till daylight. The tide was very low at 0630 and and unable to manuéver back into the mouth. At daylight , I saw one flash and said what was that????? well you know it was almost no chance of rain that day and there it was a thunder head south of us.... didn''t make me feel too good but at least it lifted and disappeared with no more flashes. My uneasiness lessoned and off we went. :D

We've had a great Oct and Sept catching our limit of gags almost every trip helping the no during the summer months due to bad weather and thunderstorms!"" :(

We were trolling in 28 feet and wham had a double on some old numbers I had and caught one keeper off that one and lost one of our lures. went back and caught another smaller throwback. Went back to our productive area in Sept and Oct and caught red grouper and rest of our gags! I have one picture but cant post.. maybe can get some help with this later.

We have been catching grouper trolling and bottom fishing. best bait pinfish off course and then trolling our go to stretches:. hot pink and chartruse. Lost a cotton candy lure bombers have been the best ones and another gold and black. Another great day on the water. All our fish caught in 29-35 ft water.
It is a shame the best grouper fishing of the year ends oct. 31st. I know with the storms of the summer the fishing has been really down. At least for me and there are plenty of gag grouper out there. You just have to keep looking for them! Hope this helps some one get out and get some gags before end of the month. :smt006
pops
Site Sponsor

Re: econfina off shore grouper, 0ct 15th, 2012

Post by pops »

Great Job, girl
pops :thumbup: :beer:
GO GATORS!!
If it does not meet your standards, Lower your standards!!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

GREAT report as usual, Carlabear! :beer: :thumbup: Want me to throw the pic up for you, just email it to me at joken999@aol.com and I'll gladly post it for you! :-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

DARN nice cooler of grouper, Carlabear! Jealous but happy for you too!!! :thumbup: :beer: :smt045
Grouper1.jpg
Grouper1.jpg (321.19 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
Grouper2.jpg
Grouper2.jpg (317.6 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Awesome!
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com