Sport fish status for trout, reds means catch and release

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Sport fish status for trout, reds means catch and release

Post by Rhettley »

With all the screwed up regulations negatively affecting recreational fishermen, I CAN NOT BELIEVE they are actually considering this and saying it will help us... :smt011 :smt012 :evil:

They are proposing "sport fish status" for trout, reds, and snook, which would probably mean catch and release fishing only like the tarpon guys. Now who in their right mind would think this was a GOOD thing for recreational anglers??? :roll:

http://www.woodsnwater.net/breaking_news/press-release
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Re: Sport fish status for trout, reds means catch and releas

Post by Rhettley »

OK I settled down and reread it. They are looking for "game fish" status for trout and reds, which wouldn't be a bad thing. The wording is so loose though that I worry this is going to lead to even more restrictive limits and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see redfish go to a sportfish status.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Fish that could possibly be designated as game fish include red drum, spotted seatrout and snook.

The online meetings are from 6 to 8 p.m. Dec. 10 and 12. To participate in a webinar, visit http://fwc.adobeconnect.com/mfm/ at the start of each meeting.
The designation issue will also be a topic of discussion at the Commission’s Dec. 5 meeting in Apalachicola.

Reasons for considering these changes include helping highlight and protect some of Florida’s premier recreational fish and encouraging anglers to practice voluntary conservation practices such as catch-and-release. If adopted, these changes could lead to healthier fish populations and help Florida market its unique fishing opportunities to residents and visitors.

Suggested parameters for game fish include no commercial harvest, possession or sale; fish could be targeted only with hook and line; and captain and crew of for-hire vessels such as charter boats would have a bag limit of zero and would not be allowed to take fish home for themselves. FWC staff has already recommended the passage of the new rule.

The sport fish designation would offer a higher level of protection than game fish by making selected species catch-and-release only, including no recreational harvest as well as no commercial harvest, possession or sale. Sport fish could also be targeted by hook and line only.

If game fish and sport fish designations are approved, staff will return to future meetings with suggestions for potential fish species candidates.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

If trout, reds and snook are going to be "Game Fish".........you have to wonder what fish would qualify for the higher protection level of "Sport Fish" ?

Tarpon, Permit, and Bonefish maybe..........

I wouldn't have a problem with that part.........but don't make a nice tasty Grouper catch and release.......please.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

I agree with the "game fish" status of these three. However the thought of guides not being able to take fish might be a little controversial. But I strongly agree with no commercial fishing for these species. What yal think about this classifying these fish as game fish?
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I just noticed this part...
FWC staff has already recommended the passage of the new rule.

So why do they even bother to ask for our comments???
Knot on Call

Post by Knot on Call »

I agree with Mule train. Let's make these species for recreational anglers only, but let's not keep the charter guys from letting their customers keep a few to enjoy at supper.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Sport fish status cuts the fish off from the commercial market, not the recreational fishing folks.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

The Next FWC commissioners meeting is in Appalach... Great time to be heard.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) will meet Dec. 5 and 6 in Apalachicola to discuss Florida’s saltwater fishery, including possible game fish and sport fish designations and oyster populations in Apalachicola Bay; boating issues; hunting matters, including two new wildlife management areas; alligator harvesting; imperiled species updates and plans; and more.

The Wednesday-Thursday meeting begins at 8:30 a.m. both days in the Franklin County Courthouse, 33 Market Street, and is open to the public. Anyone wishing to address specific issues or items not on the agenda will be allowed to speak according to established guidelines.

After review of consent agenda items on the first day of the meeting, Executive Director Nick Wiley will present the director’s report.

Next on Dec. 5, FWC Commissioners will take up marine fisheries issues, including updates from the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council and the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council meetings, the 2013 Gulf of Mexico gag grouper recreational season, Atlantic black sea bass management changes, game fish and sport fish definitions and staff reports on flounder and oysters in Apalachicola Bay.

In a draft rule hearing, the Commission will discuss possibilities for the 2013 Gulf of Mexico gag grouper recreational season.

In a final public hearing, the Commission will consider changes to black sea bass management in Atlantic state waters. The proposed change would modify state recreational size and bag limits and commercial regulations to be consistent with federal rules.

The Commission also will consider a conservation measure creating game fish and sport fish definitions that could later be applied to some of Florida’s fisheries.

Flounder and oyster issues follow.

Also on Wednesday, staff will report on two boating-related topics.

First, they will review a proposed ordinance regulating the anchoring and mooring of non-live-aboard vessels outside of public mooring fields in Stuart/Martin County. Commission approval is necessary before the community can enforce its ordinance. This is the final ordinance under a five-community anchoring and mooring pilot program in Florida.

The other boating-related issue is a proposed rule amendment to the Okeechobee Waterway Boating Restricted Area.

When Commissioners reconvene on Dec. 6, law enforcement and legal staff will present the FWC’s award for Prosecutor of the Year.

Next, Commissioners will consider expanding hunting and fishing opportunities and public access on nearly 6 million acres of the FWC’s wildlife management area (WMA) system. Most noteworthy is the proposed addition of two new WMAs in its Southwest Region for the 2013-14 hunting season.

The Commission will address proposed amendments that would allow a quota permit holder to take a different guest each day of a quota hunt. Also, hunters would receive reinstatement of their preference points only if they electronically returned their unused quota permit 10 days or more prior to the first day of their quota hunt. Such returned permits would be reissued to other hunters on a weekly basis, instead of once a month.

Staff will update Commissioners on a statewide alligator harvest program and seek guidance for any needed improvements.

Staff from the FWC’s Division of Habitat and Species Conservation will explain how listing and managing threatened and endangered species works in Florida. This presentation will focus on species that are state or federally listed, and on the FWC’s collaboration with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to conserve imperiled species. Staff will also update Commissioners on a modified Imperiled Species Management Plan for 61 state-listed species. The new approach uses a plan that combines multi-species conservation strategies with species-specific action plans, and includes ongoing stakeholder involvement.

Discussions on automatic vessel registration and recreational license changes and an update on the Florida Youth Conservation Centers Network follow.

At the end of the meeting on both days, the public can comment on items not on the agenda.

The complete agenda, with links to background reports, details on consent agenda items and information about the meeting, is available at MyFWC.com/Commission.

Anyone requiring special accommodations to participate in this meeting should notify the FWC at least five calendar days before the meeting by calling 850-488-6411. Contact the agency using the Florida Relay Service at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or 800-955-8770 (voice) if you are hearing- or speech-impaired.

The next regular Commission meeting will be Feb. 13-14, 2013, in Orlando, commencing at 8:30 a.m. each day.

is a link to more info on the webinars...
http://myfwc.com/news/news-releases/201 ... /webinars/
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

MudDucker wrote:Sport fish status cuts the fish off from the commercial market, not the recreational fishing folks.
Thanks for saving me from having to post that.

You all need to read before freaking out just cause it's coming from a gov agency.

This is a good thing.
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

yes, the staff has recommended passage because their Chairman wants it to pass. There is no actual rule that is written yet, that is why they are taking comments next week at the meeting and the week after during the webinars. This will be wonderful for the protection of all the fish we enjoy catching. Thay are not taking anything from the recreational fisherman.
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I think inshore guides and their clients should be allowed to keep fish is they choose to.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

This is just more govt. B/S !! If the main purpose is to protect some of these fish (trout and reds) why did they up the reds to two per day and do away with the Feb. trout closer ? How much more money is this going to cost us tax tayers ? If and when these fish are listed a "Game and or Sportsfish" is it something that can be reversed when the fish are over populated ? I just don't understand how FWC can go back and forth on these issues. There are law/regulations in place now that most of us abide by....laws will never stop folks from taking more than what they should. Again IMO this is just more wasteful Govt. spending that may or may not lead to a foot hold that can't be undone.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Discussions on automatic vessel registration and recreational license increases
Anyone else read this? Effective July 1, 2013, automatic vessel registration, and fishing license fees will increase annually based on the consumer price index....

Please take a moment to review this presentation: http://myfwc.com/media/2426538/12C2013A ... reases.pdf

The VAST MAJORITY of the revenue generated would be from vessel registration ($2.5 million), and salt water license fees (2.6 million) Some of the revenue would go toward more public boat ramps, channel markers and of course more FUEL for FWC patrols on the water.

I wonder if the legislature will even give it a New Your minute or let it just pass without any thought. To us, it's just more taxes on our boats and our right to go fishing..... :smt011
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ok, promise I'm all for ensuring sustainability of our wildlife resources WHILE also protecting rights to hunt & fish... and hope this shows in my tagging and releasing about 4 times as many cobia as I keep... BUT I'm starting to think a law should be passed that the regulations can be changed no more often than two year intervals.

Say this for a number of reasons... 1) I think the seemingly quarterly changes, and even COUNTY BY COUNTY varying regs, have some people giving up on even trying to fish for food anymore, as they feel they have to take a lawyer on board to be somewhat safe, and 2) because my direct experience with government agencies is that limited government is a good thing, but ever-expanding regulations shift the focus away from the true management of resources and instead into ever-increasing activities to justify more and more budgeting for the agencies involved, creating a vicious cycle of expanding regulations/agency growth/tax dollars spent/abusive regulations hurting those originally intended to be "protected".

Moved here in 2002 and can remember fishing WITHOUT having to radio check others on what I could keep / what I couldn't keep. Dang near check the regs each trip out now, even downloading updates to my phone, and can say I increasingly find myself having to check the limitations more and more, and have had many more boats / nearby fishermen asking for clarification on changed regs while debating if they have to release fish or can keep them.

Sure makes buying the reg stickers increasingly a joke too. :smt012 :smt011 Seriously, would anybody not like to see regs at least stay PREDICTABLE and unchanged for two year periods?

BBG salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945