LATE EVENING BASS'IN

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DixieReb
Site Sponsor

LATE EVENING BASS'IN

Post by DixieReb »

Went over to neighbor's pond late thurs. evening for some bass fish'in. Started on shallow end where lots of weeds grow out in the water, only takers small fish. Using silver /blue devilshorse, started casting to middle of the pond. I noticed some big ones busting shiners on top right after the sun went down, so I casted toward the commotion, twitched the lure twice, and the fight was on. I couldn't believe what I hung, the bass jumped 3 times and flared his gills trying to throw the hooks. Got him to the bank and had to reach out into the water to free him from the weeds. The fish looked every bit of 8 pounds, but dummy me didn't have a scale in the truck. He looked the same size as another bass I caught earlier this year, so I guessed him the same weight.
Wow, what an awesome fish!! I released him because we didn't need any fish, the wife had caught 2 nice bass the day before and we need to eat them. I was just out hav'in some fun, and boy, I did!! :-D
Yours in the South
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

This is the time of year for topwater plugs to really excell for bass. Some of the largest ones I've ever caught were caught on topwater near dark or even into the night.
I've heard of some speckled trout recently being taken right near shore...on high tide...on topwater plugs.
:P
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks DR. Really enjoyed the read. Reminded me of summer evenings back in Missouri. Buck'n Bales durning the day....toss'n a hula popper out in the middle of a pond surrounded by cattails....waiting for the rings to disapear....look'n round at the sunset.... BOOM! scares ya ta death don't it!! :D :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

I lived in Little Rock, Ark back in the 60's. Sister lived in Republic, Missouri. Many times we visited, and the pond fishing was fantastic for bass. I learned spoon fishing for bass then and even a little topwater action. It scares the wits out of me when a big ol bass goes after my topwater plug. Many the times I've snatched the lure away from him in my excitement. Summer time is tops for topwater.

:D :D :D :-?