Lake Reedy Speck

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Lake Reedy Speck

Post by Sir reel »

Spent the past week in Frostproof at my Folks house on Lake Reedy. I guess I should say it's mine now that both Mom and Dad are gone but it just doesn't sound right. Had a good bit of work done to repair and upgrade the dock and after doing all the routine maintenance (pressure washing, sprinkler system repair, carpet cleaning, etc) I managed to fish off the dock for an hour or so 3 or 4 evenings. Caught 5 specks with the largest being a 13 incher using minnows and cane poles. The Specks haven't moved into the grass real good yet. A couple had roe pretty well along but a couple more barely had started.
Old walk way being removed
Old walk way being removed
100_0297.JPG (621.27 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Wrap around walk completed
Wrap around walk completed
100_0320.JPG (623.29 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
roof over old deck area completed
roof over old deck area completed
100_0358.JPG (454.65 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Lake Reedy Speck
Lake Reedy Speck
237.JPG (652.64 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Headed back to Tallahassee on Saturday, the mild temps have been real nice, 50's for lows and upper 70's for high's.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
One Keeper

Re: Lake Reedy Speck

Post by One Keeper »

Looks good Bud! I've been catching some nice"uns on Talquin the last few weeks trolling. Caught a few that was 15 inches. :thumbup: Also went out Saturday and caught 16 Channels on stink bait that filled up a 50 quart cooler.
bman

Post by bman »

That looks like a great place to be!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

bman wrote:That looks like a great place to be!
X2 :thumbup: :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY BUD, . A GOOD FRIEND, JOHN GIDDENS, AND I SPENT MANY A DAY OUT ON REEDY, WE CAUGHT MANY SPECKS IN THE 14-15 INCH RANGE TROLLING WITH PLUGS. I REMEMBER ONE OF THE NAMES OF THE PLUG WE USED WAS CALLED(BLUE-EYED PEARL). BACK THEN WE COULD KEEP 50 PER PERSON PER DAY. MANY A DAY WE WOULD START TROLLING ABOUT 9 AM AND WOULD HAVE OUR LIMIT BY NOON. WE HAD A HOME ON LAKE LOTELA IN AVON PARK. I BUILT A FLA. ROOM ON THE LAKE SIDE OF THE LAKE AND HAD A TRAP DOOR DOWN TO THE BOATS UNDER THE FLA. ROOM. WOULD EAT BREAKFAST , DRINK A COUPLE CUPS OF COFFEE , THEN GO DOWN THE LADDER TO THE BOAT AND GO FISH, ONE TIME AFTER A HEAVY RAIN THE WATER HAD PUSHED THE BOAT UP TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE FLA. ROOM AND AND IT SANK, TOOK ABOUT 2 WEEKS FOR THE WATER TO GO DOWN SO I COULD RAISE THE BOAT BACK UP, I THOUGHT THAT IT HAD RUINED THE TROLLING MOTOR BUT IT WORKED FINE AFTER LEAVING IT OUT IN THE SUN FOR ABOUT A WEEK. THAT WAS A GREAT TIME IN MY LIFE PRIOR TO THE BIG FREEZE OF 1957, DEC. 13TH. WE LOST EVERYTHING, 15 YEARS OF WORK 300 ACRE GROVE AND 150 ACRES OF CITRUS NURSERY ALL GONE IN ONE NIGHT OF 19 DEGREE WEATHER. WE MANAGED TO SURVIVE BY ME GOING BACK INTO THE TRUCKING INDUSTRY, WHAT I WAS DOING BEFORE I GOT MY MASTERS IN BIOLOGY AND ENGINEERING. WE LOVED LIVING DOWN IN AVON PARK, MOST OF MY BUSINESS ASSOCIATES AND FRIENDS HAVE ALL DIED AND I ONLY KNOW ONE PERSON STILL ALIVE DOWN THERE . AS USUAL I HAVE RAMBLED ON TOO LONG AGAIN. SEE YA.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Fishbster1

Post by Fishbster1 »

Looks beautiful!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good afternoon PA.

Hey buddy... please feel free ta ramble on my post anytime you like. If you ever have an occasion to need to be in the area and be interested in camp'n here at our place, let me know. If I have room available, I'd be pleased for you to take advantage of it.

Bud.

By the way, if there are any of you folks who might have some pull with Progress Energy, I sure could use some power on the dock. Dad tried several times but it always turned out to be terribly expensive, seperate meter, etc. There is a power pole right at the corner of the walk way. Probably isn't any solution or Dad would have found it.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Just caught this little inch football off the dock on a cane pole while fish'n for more specks. Had a witness this time... 6 ft gator set'n in the grass about 20 yards away was very interested in the comotion.
026.JPG
026.JPG (669.75 KiB) Viewed 4512 times
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY BUD, JUST RUN YOUR LINE UNDERGROUND IN PVC PIPE AND UNDER THE DOCK OUT TO WHERE YOU WANT THE LIGHT, HANG AN OLD OIL LANTERN UNDER THE LIGHT, THEY WILL NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. APPRECIATE THE INVITE, I MIGHT TAKE YA UP ON THAT NEXT SPRING. JOHN AND I BOTH HAVE CAUGHT BASS IN REEDY THAT WEIGHED OVER 15 POUNDS, COURSE THAT WAS BACK IN 1940'S.
SEE YA
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

If it were easy, it would have been done a long time ago. I'm currently using a small 800 watt gen from Harbor Freight to run a couple of spot lights.

Problem is, Lake Reedy Blvd is between house and Lake Front (dock). 5 or 6 years ago, the City of Frostproof did a large sewer project that involved the complete removal of the road surface. Dad approached the officials at that time and tried to get permission to put a pipe under the road. They would not allow it. Yes, folks will say, "I'd do it in the dark of the night anyway"... but Dad would never do it on the side. If he couldn't make it work within the system then he would not do it.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

looks great, Your not far from our home office in Lake Alford(Growers fertilizer) been there since 1935 ,need anything along that line drop in, tell them peanut sent you.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY JIM, I WAS A DISTRBUTOR FOR (GULF FERTILIZER CO.) FOR HIGHLANDS, HARDEE,AND DE SOTO COUNTIES BACK IN THE LATE 40'S AND 50'S. ALSO HAD DE SOTO GROVE SERVICE AND ALMAR CITRUS NURSERY, IT WAS GREAT TO BE THERE BACK THEN. THE LAST TIME WE WENT THROUGH SEBRING, AVON PARK, AND ARCADIA , I DO NOT THINK I WOULD LIKE TO LIVE THERE NOW.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO