st mark river fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MIKE REELMAN
Site Sponsor

st mark river fishing

Post by MIKE REELMAN »

today went fishing start around 10;00 am .fwc every where ,look for red or trout find 1 yearling bass no bait where did the fish go
kgarner1

Re: st mark river fishing

Post by kgarner1 »

Mikey, with these crazy weather fluctuations they're in and out of the rivers one day here gone tomorrow! I saw a Cobia yesterday LOL :-)
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

Personaly I like to refer to the somewhat advice that another local website gives out. If you check my previous post you will see that I too have been trying to find the elusive shallow water slot reds and gator trout.The spring and summer are easy as pie to find keeper trout on the flats. I have yet to catch a red on a lure, only on the bottom.Which is fun but not what I'm looking to hone my skills in. Gettin skinny is my new thing, just havent gotten it down. I've been in the river four times this little few cold snaps and three were strike outs besides baby mangroves and one fortunately was a sucess but the two reds that we caught(on the bottom) were 2 inches short. So I find the best way is going out with another boat and each do completly opposite thing and rely the results.Some one has to find something.I mean thats what the tourney guys and $ clubs do right???
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

oreocwby wrote:Personaly I like to refer to the somewhat advice that another local website gives out. If you check my previous post you will see that I too have been trying to find the elusive shallow water slot reds and gator trout.The spring and summer are easy as pie to find keeper trout on the flats. I have yet to catch a red on a lure, only on the bottom.Which is fun but not what I'm looking to hone my skills in. Gettin skinny is my new thing, just havent gotten it down. I've been in the river four times this little few cold snaps and three were strike outs besides baby mangroves and one fortunately was a sucess but the two reds that we caught(on the bottom) were 2 inches short. So I find the best way is going out with another boat and each do completly opposite thing and rely the results.Some one has to find something.I mean thats what the tourney guys and $ clubs do right???
Everything but relay results, until they hit the scales.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

GO OVER TO THE SPRING CREEK WATER BOILS, YA CAN CATCH ALMOST ANYTHING THIS TIME OF THE YEAR.
PA
SEMPER FI
HAVE FUN, ANY KIND OF GRUB WILL WORK.
FUTCHCAIRO
konrad

Post by konrad »

The reds were schooled up last weekend in a foot or two of water. Came upon 10 schools with 50 plus fish in each of them. They were very spooky though and only managed to land 4 in the 25 inch range. Kept 3 and all had blue crabs in their belly.
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

the democrat always has a fishing report from the previous weekend;when tidal creeks are mentioned is stony bayou a good example? I'm going to kevins to find a good neutral suspending lure in black and silver. I hear that this is a good bait to use. Last weekend i went about 1/16 east of the light house I know i was in good water and even saw two oyster bars. The only catch was a tailless sting ray. I would love to go to the Flats seminar but unfortunately once again I have to work and cant find a cover, so any help is very much appreciated. I figured I'd try the river first and if no bites within thirty minutes moving to the mouth and trying oyster bars. All I can do is keep @ it.
MIKE REELMAN
Site Sponsor

Post by MIKE REELMAN »

sat the 28 went fishing in the st marks area stroke out again saturday is not good for me. agood fishing report i do not have,
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

I caught 2 speckeld trtout sat. O thought It would have been perfect.I went up river first thing before the sun came up and only had a few mangrove short bites. Then I made my way to the mouth(by then every boat in the area wanted to run to the flats) tried their casting into the chanel, but too much rocking from the wakes. So the I headed to a few close tidal creaks 1/8 mile from the fort saw oysterbars mud flats bait and a dolphin but no fish. Spent my time poleing outta there and hit anchored in front of a couple oyster bars as the tide had almost fully come in. My shrimp never even got bothered. By this time it was about 2:30pm so I decded to run back up river. After a few more short mangrove we caught two barely legal trout wit a jig head tipped wit fresh shrimp. Its guys like me that keep bait shops ice machenes and boat launch paid in full but never any fish. I would love to go out with someone to just teach me what I'm doin wrong, NOT to show me thier hot spots.
setty7

Post by setty7 »

oreocwby wrote:I caught 2 speckeld trtout sat. O thought It would have been perfect.I went up river first thing before the sun came up and only had a few mangrove short bites. Then I made my way to the mouth(by then every boat in the area wanted to run to the flats) tried their casting into the chanel, but too much rocking from the wakes. So the I headed to a few close tidal creaks 1/8 mile from the fort saw oysterbars mud flats bait and a dolphin but no fish. Spent my time poleing outta there and hit anchored in front of a couple oyster bars as the tide had almost fully come in. My shrimp never even got bothered. By this time it was about 2:30pm so I decded to run back up river. After a few more short mangrove we caught two barely legal trout wit a jig head tipped wit fresh shrimp. Its guys like me that keep bait shops ice machenes and boat launch paid in full but never any fish. I would love to go out with someone to just teach me what I'm doin wrong, NOT to show me thier hot spots.
im right there with you man!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

That is what it is called FISHING. In ways, winter is a hard time of year. Keep at it and you'll get better. We fish mostly our of Keaton. We would be glad to help you with what we know.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
FarhFrumWurk

Post by FarhFrumWurk »

Two weeks ago I went out I could not get anything to bite live shrimp, jigging or under a cork. Switched to a paddle tail and got 5 keeper trout in 2 hours biggest being 20" not too impressive but dinner.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

5 keepers is a good day!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Stoney Bayou has big schools of reds roving right now. I waded it close to the St Marks Refuge levees all weekend. About froze to death, but was rewarded with many keepers. Best hits came on first hour of incoming tide. I generally go with freelined mudminnows and soft curltail baits on light jigheads, but I think lure picks matter less than being in the right place at the right time.