Fishing In Big Bend (Ecofina River to St. Marks)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishinGuy3

Fishing In Big Bend (Ecofina River to St. Marks)

Post by FishinGuy3 »

I normally fish inshore around Steinhatchee, Horseshoe, and Suwannee; Never fished up this way, was just wondering how the fishing is up this way and where are some good hot spots. Moved and these places are closer. Are there a lot of Oyster bars? Anything a none local should watch out for that would not be noticed? Where is some good redfish spots?
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing In Big Bend (Ecofina River to St. Marks)

Post by Sea Dawg »

thre a lots you need to look out for ...Rocks ,bar's big rock out as far as 5 miles out rock piles all around
Last edited by Sea Dawg on February 4th, 2013, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The entire area from Spring Warrior to the St. Marks lighthouse is rocks and bars.
But that is where the fish are.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

Why not try apalachicola don't have to worry about rocks and fish are plentiful
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Get a Porter's rock guard for your motor. This time of year at low tide you will be able to see most of the rocks and plot them on your GPS if you have one. As the water warms a little the creeks and grass flats should produce what you are looking for. Just don't get caught in a creek with an outgoing tide that won't leave you enough water to leave, it could be a long day.
FishinGuy3

Post by FishinGuy3 »

fishinfool wrote:Get a Porter's rock guard for your motor. This time of year at low tide you will be able to see most of the rocks and plot them on your GPS if you have one. As the water warms a little the creeks and grass flats should produce what you are looking for. Just don't get caught in a creek with an outgoing tide that won't leave you enough water to leave, it could be a long day.
I will definitely have to look into this. Do you know about how much they run? Is it a self install or do they do it (how long this take) I am trying to go out this weekend if it is possible to be down by then. I appreciate the information and help!
FishinGuy3

Post by FishinGuy3 »

bayrunner22 wrote:Why not try apalachicola don't have to worry about rocks and fish are plentiful
>>Really? I will have to try it on of these days. Where you put your boat in at?
FishinGuy3

Post by FishinGuy3 »

Jumptrout51 wrote:The entire area from Spring Warrior to the St. Marks lighthouse is rocks and bars.
But that is where the fish are.
>> Yeah, I mean I am use to fishing up and around bars some. I was just curious if they weren't visible and easy to hit. Is there a map of the area at one of the marinas or a channel to guide you out until your get out of the river?
But I agree, The fish love to get up behind those rock beds and just feed off them. I appreciate your help.
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

Check out google earth and get a good hotspot map. You will be up and running in no time. I think the Porter Rock Guards are under $200 installed, much more if you damage the keel and then go in to get one.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Welcome Aboard FishinGuy3 :thumbup:
There is loads of information here, but it's up to you to be able to find it.
A good GPS and VHS are vital instruments you will need around here. Good Luck :smt006
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Fish about 80% of the time out of Econfina targeting oyster bars and rocky spots.

Time spent looking at a local chart and / or online charts to find deeper running spots is time extremely well spent. Also will tell you that despite fishing the area 10 years now, I still do my best to only fish the shallows with at least 1.0' positive tide and most of the time actually fish bars / head for the house with at least 1.5'+ tide.

By the grace of the BIG man above, haven't lost a lower unit yet but have dinged my prop a few times and when the water gets clear during dry weather spells hold my breath at the sight of the rocks I run over regularly.

P.S. - winter tides here are notorious for running lower than predicted, and even during summer months watch out for any strong north winds pushing tide waters out and away from the flats. Lots of good fishing to be done in our neck of the woods, but bit more work involved than other locales in ensuring you don't do damage / get stuck out away from your landing of choice.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
FishinGuy3

Post by FishinGuy3 »

big bend gyrene wrote:Fish about 80% of the time out of Econfina targeting oyster bars and rocky spots.

Time spent looking at a local chart and / or online charts to find deeper running spots is time extremely well spent. Also will tell you that despite fishing the area 10 years now, I still do my best to only fish the shallows with at least 1.0' positive tide and most of the time actually fish bars / head for the house with at least 1.5'+ tide.

By the grace of the BIG man above, haven't lost a lower unit yet but have dinged my prop a few times and when the water gets clear during dry weather spells hold my breath at the sight of the rocks I run over regularly.

P.S. - winter tides here are notorious for running lower than predicted, and even during summer months watch out for any strong north winds pushing tide waters out and away from the flats. Lots of good fishing to be done in our neck of the woods, but bit more work involved than other locales in ensuring you don't do damage / get stuck out away from your landing of choice.
>> Thank you for your help and information, It helps a lot! I've been on good earth a little, and will try and find a hotspot at the local marina. Hopefully i can get out there this weekend!