Scallops

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

River Jones

Scallops

Post by River Jones »

If you are looking for scallops, you should saty away from St. Marks, and try Keaton Beach. Me and my two sons went to St. MArks last Thursday, and the water was tea color, very bad visibility. Tried to find some scallops, but did not see any. Saw about 6 sharks East of the lighthouse in about 4 foot of water close to shore. Went to Keaton Beach on Friday, and caught our limit in about 2 hours. We followed the channel markers about 2 miles offshore, then headed East about 2-3 miles. Found an area about 5 ft deep and dropped anchor. Visibility was great, and there were no sharks. Went back to Keaton Beach again on Saturday with my two sons and a friend. Got there about 9:00 Am, and waited 30 minutes to launch my boat. There was a long line at the launch. Got out in the bay and counted over 100 boats in an area about 3 sq miles. Lots of people scalloping. We caught our limit again, in about an hour and a half. :D
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

Thanks for the report, RJ. :thumbup:

8)
Jesus saves, George Nelson withdraws!
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

...now there's 200 boats!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Hit-n-Miss

scallops

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Anybody going saturday? Going for the first time ever. :-D Will be at the Keaton zoo :-D :-D :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Scallops

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Is anything other than flounder legal to spearfish in shallow water? :-D
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

You can try to spear seatrout99, if he's on here he will explain :D
Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Re: Scallops

Post by Wil »

Hit-n-Miss wrote::-D Is anything other than flounder legal to spearfish in shallow water? :-D
Yeah, tons of stuff. Grouper, grunts, mangrove snapper, and rock bass can be found all around rock piles. Spanish mackeral are fun to spear when theyr'e cruising the flats, and I'll bet blues are fun to shoot also (haven't gotten into a school of blues yet). And if you really want to target practice, there are pinfish aplenty.