Steinhatchee Fishing Report

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GrouperMaster

Post by GrouperMaster »

Steinhatchee Fishing Report
Capt. Brian Smith/Gulf Stream Marina

One, two, three Got One!! or
Good luck charm

I had the opportunity to take two families fishing this week. Children summon our memories of past of the simple pleasure of feeling a wiggle occurring at the very far end of a fishing line. Squeals foretell of an exciting mystery fish that soon will visit. No its not a world record. Its more important than that...its a personal record complete with a self parade around the deck. Bob and Peggy Hered, Atlantic Beach, FL, brought their three children fishing with me on Wednesday. The youngest, Danny, had a routine down within minutes of anchoring on one the countless patch reefs within ten miles from shore. He would lower the bait down, when it touched bottom, aloud he counted to three followed by got one. And he wasnt crying wolf. Between all three kids, we adults were kept busy baiting hooks and taking off fish. Not too long in the day we were teaching the children catch and release, something everyone should do. However, Im not so sure the kids were aware we were tossing the fish back, shut up and pass the ammo (bait). Somehow during the day Bob managed to bring in a 15 lb cobia and Peggy reeled in a 14 lb kingfish. It was like Chinese food, everyone got their cookie.
Saturday, Dave Bass, his daughter Megan, Rocco Maturo, his daughter Cary Ann and son Dan came aboard ready for adventure. We adults set a limit on the number of sandwiches (black seabass, pinkmouth or porgy) to catch and held a contest. The child that caught the most won a T shirt from Gulf Stream Marina courtesy of the parent. A smart contest because not only did it impart excitement it added closure to the childrens part of the days fishing allowing the guys to grouper fish with the kids blessing. Everybody wins that contest, especially me because the kids said that was the best fishing trip ever. Take a kid fishing.
Nicole (14 yrs old) said she was a good luck charm fishing. I smiled at her, knowing her father, Jamie Chesser, is a successful commercial hook and line grouper fisherman, and her luck just might have a lot to do with where he drops his anchor. They went out for three days, came back, and she smiled at me. Go look in the fishbox, Brian. I hopped aboard, slid the lid to the side and came face to face with the grouper, I and every grouper fishermen breathing today have been dreaming about for a lifetime. Well over 60 pounds and four and half feet long he laid there instate. My heart, like his, was stopped. I about joined him in the fishbox before coming back around. Managing to get off the boat without falling in, I shook her hand, bowed (to pick up my ego off the dock) and gave Nicole has a standing invitation to go fishing with me. Id rather be lucky than good anytime.
Saturday, Randall Skinner and Greg Shook, Hiawassee, GA thought they were going trout fishing. They werent informed they were going to enter a two and half hour battle with a cobia. Randall was armed with ten pound test, a cork and pinfish when the bell rang just south of the Steinhatchee river. After two hours, both contestants were wore out, the battle winding down. Randall guided the big cobia toward Greg waiting with a net. Well, a sheet of paper wont stop a bullet and this net didnt confront the cobia; the fish went through the net in a blast of speed. Quick thinking Randall passed the reel and rod through the net, with Gregs help, and continued the war. A half hour later both men, using a secret fish wrestling move, brought the fish in the boat. I expect to see them again next weekend with a new thing called a gaff. The fish weighed in at 33 lbs, ten of which was meanness.
Well, the fishing is great here in Steinhatchee; come get you some.