Sight fishing reds

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Sight fishing reds

Post by onefishtwofish »

What percent of sight fishing do most of ya'll do? I rarely do it with the intentions of sight fishing. Of course, we are always looking, but not really aiming for that-have caught more than a few by casting to them, but not really making a concerted effort to do it. I tend to fish my spots that produce and have not caught a lot of fish when really aiming for the sight fishing. Am I missing out? I have a Ranger Cayman, not exactly a super skinny boat or an easy poler. Can one truly sight fish with a trolling motor? I catch my share of reds and want to try to catch some this year on the fly. Should I be expanding my skills? I waded this area for 20+ years but have only been hard boating for the last 5-6 years.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Sight fishing reds

Post by SHOWBOAT »

you can certainly sight fish reds from your Ranger. Easier on shorelines or creeks than the flats in most places, but there are exceptions. This time of year I probably see 25-35% of my reds, or at least their buddies, before I catch them. That number will go down as the temp warms and I'll only see 5-10% of those I catch in the summer.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

10-4 that makes sense. I don't fish much until Feb (duck season over) and then dont fish much during turkey season either. So that makes sense.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Turkey and deer are also good hobbies. Take a break and fish with us on the 9th. Hope to meet you there
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Personally, my favorite way to fish redfish. I'm addicted to sightfishing. Been to LA and done it, it's insane over there. Still learning areas to sightfish around St. Marks, St. George, Lanark, etc. When the conditions are right, it just takes lots of time and effort. Well worth it in my opinion. Nothing like seeing a redfish in their natural habitat, making the perfect presentation, watching them eat and then catching them. Or better yet, poling a first time sight fisher and providing them with this experience. I cannot throw a fly rod but my buddies who do attest that this is even more exciting. Seen reds sight fished on the fly as well and it is pretty amazing.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Or better yet, poling a first time sight fisher and providing them with this experience. [/quote]

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why, maybe it's the long lay-off, but I can't wait to go again. Your excitement for this different kind of fishing has truly rubbed off. When you coming home?
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

90%, only time I don't is winter in creeks or when its cloudy.
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

The most exciting way to fish... Around here it takes some clear water and a keen eye. The fish are so spooky you can rarely get within 10 yds but once you catch one you'll never stop wanting to catch em. I look for shallow sandbars w/ a little grass and also the flats right outside of creeks and rivers. Usually a good school will make some kind of disturbance along the water and a single fish will usually give itself away right against the bank moving through grass. Can't beat a good sightfishing trip and I hope I can learn a lot more about it. Good luck to you while you figure it all out! :thumbup:
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

10-4 Luc. I know your haunts and promise to leave you be :)

The fly rod is out and I am getting better with practice. A herniated disk in my neck sidelined me for a while, but I am tossing it again. I think there will be some sightfishing in the future for me this summer.

PS You need to take me up on my offer if you are in town before the summer, it stil stands. We are catching fish right along. Not a ton, but plenty of action. And you can bring Dad too. :)
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Sounds good, been wanting to take you up on that offer for about a year. Tough to find the time when my trips to Tally are limited. Maybe sometime in the next couple weeks, and then maybe I can take you sight fishing! I'll let you know if I'm in town with the chance to go.
kwarner

Post by kwarner »

Anyone having any luck sight fishing lately? Or have the rains stained the water?
konrad

Post by konrad »

I've only seen a couple in the last three trips out. I think they are off shore spawning at the moment but could be wrong. I say this because normally I do a few AJ trips this time of year and always end up catching several slot reds in the process. (20 miles out) The sheephead have been on fire though and not only on the near shore reefs. We have been catching a lot of them in the creeks. I only keep a couple each time and let the rest go but the ones we do keep have been full of roe.
kwarner

Post by kwarner »

Anyone having any luck lately sight fishing the sw Keaton area? Slamming the trout but no reds so far.