Recomend other Salt Water fishing areas

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Recomend other Salt Water fishing areas

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Hello fellow fisherman
I have taken today off, with a few friends, to go fishing off the old bridge before the main bridge to St George Island.
We have been planning to go today but are not really expecting much because of all the rain we had and the cold weather.
I was wondering
Do any of you recommend any other areas to go to Salt Water fishing that doesn't require a boat?
I love going to salt water fishing but I wanted to see where else I could go that doesn't require a 1 1/2 hour drive; I also love going to the bridge because we are often catching fish and its relaxing.
Please let me know
Thanks
sailcat

Re: Recomend other Salt Water fishing areas

Post by sailcat »

Why don't you try the surf within the park. The last time we were there we caught plenty of nice whiting.
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

Perhaps you can throw up the first Pompano report from the surf..
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Off the causeway between East Point and Apalach,
The pier at Mashes Sands in Panacea.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

hickory mound too if u can catch the tides right there can be pretty good if u know where to go.
gldearman

Post by gldearman »

I'm in the same (lack of) boat as you, so I sympathize. I don't normally get quite as far west as you, though. I fish around the oyster bar at the lighthouse in St. Marks Refuge, but that's about 1½ hours drive from St. George Island. I can second the pier at Mashes Sands, which isn't quite as far. I know people who've had excellent luck at Alligator Point and Wakulla Beach.

mpa_72001, can you give us more info on Hickory Mound? It's not too far from me, but I never really investigated it. Googling around isn't getting me much information. I've figured out that there's a big brackish impoundment. Are there fish in the impoundment, and what kinds? Or do you fish the other side, toward the Gulf? Is it bank fishing, or do you wade out into the impoundment/tidal creeks?

Thanks, I appreciate any info
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Its off 98 past the aucilla river .there are two ways in there off 98.u can fish off the bank based off the tides it comes from the gulf through creeks and all there going through culverts to the other side.
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Gldearman
Where exactly in Alligator point?
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Joe
Once it warms up a little more I would gladly post a Pompano report from the St George Island surf!
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

DEADLYMNM7 wrote:Gldearman
Where exactly in Alligator point?
Cross the Ocklocknee River bridge in Panacea and it's the next paved road to the left bout a mile or so and follow it almost to the end and your there.
gldearman

Post by gldearman »

DEADLYMNM7, I hope One Keeper's directions help you out, because I don't know. I don't know exactly where they fish. I've never been fishing with them, I've just seen the pictures.

mpa_72001, thanks for the info. I'm going to go try the place out later this month.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Don't know where your coming from. The suggestion for the Pier at Mashes Sands is good. I think you have a fee there if I remember right. Also in Panacea, fishing at the base of the bridge the opisite end from Panacea is very good at times, and it's free. I've caught a lot of Whitting, Drum, and a few Reds below the bridge. Bring plenty of tackle if your bottom fishing, rocks, rocks, and more rocks.
If your over around Keaton Beach, the public fishing pier is good at times. I've caught Reds, Sheephead, Spainish, Trout, and even hung a Cobia there once. Can get crowded there when it warms up more. Shrimp is the best ticket at the places I mentioned. Squid is good sometimes also.
Hickory Mound is good if you catch the tide right. After about an hours drive down a dirt road you come to a levi. One side of the road is fresh water, and the other side is salt. The fresh water side is not affected to much by the tide, but the salt water side goes plum dry on low tide. I've caught some real nice Reds and a few Trout there. Most of the time it's packed with crabbers. Lined up all up and down shoulder to shoulder on the levi. It's without a doubt the best crabbing in the Big Bend if you like to crab. I'd stick with Keaton Beach if it's not too far to drive.
Good luck.

salute2
Semper Fi
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

if you can learn the back way to hickory mound it may take you 10 to 15 mins at the most its a lil rougher coming straight off 98 and its a total of 7 miles that way and will probably take u about 15 mins that way too maybe a lil more depending on how fast you can take the bumps down the dirt road .the back way is graded a lil better so its not quite as bad and like cs marine said there can be some good fishing there but a lot of crabbers on the weekends. i have caught quite a few trout and some nice reds down there too but have fished it a lot also.
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

CSMarine
I am coming from Applachee Parkway, Tallahassee, Fl.
Thanks for the tips!