44 lb. Cobia from a Kayak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BayGator

44 lb. Cobia from a Kayak

Post by BayGator »

I thought you kayak guys would like this. It is hard handling these fish out of a boat so landing one out of a kayak gets a hats off from me. The fish was caught out of Navarre so hopefully they are moving this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YfmwtEfLes
Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Re: 44 lb. Cobia from a Kayak

Post by Rangerpat »

Excellent, great video and fish, good eating too!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Not a kayak guy, but sure a cobia one and LOVED it! Laughed out loud at the "Animals were harmed in the making of this video" line. Made me think of the Mad Max post I shared yesterday! :lol:

Truthfully, think at least from the battle standpoint the yak may have proven helpful in fighting it (versus having to pull anchor in a boat and / or having the fish quickly run from structure). The yak can be somewhat easily pulled, act as a bit of drag assist. Now, LANDING it's a TOTALLY different story. Had more than one gaff fail myself with big ones and so easy to lose boat/yak side. One small fail on his part that he pointed out or not, cool deal for him (and others on this board) who've pulled big ones up while sitting in yaks. :beer: :thumbup: :smt038
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Not in a yak, but I caught a keeper cobia wading the oyster bars off Shell Pt. when I first moved up here in 1995. Also hooked a couple tarpon in the same spot, but didn't manage to land them.

I know a couple places I could probably pull this off, but I would have to load my kayak in my boat first, then launch once I got out there because I am NOT going to paddle that far.... :-?
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Not a kayak guy myself but I would have thought that there would have been a lot more rocking from side to side during the fight. Are yak's that stable or is most of that just due to operator experience?
derf

Post by derf »

how far off the beach were u i plan on going this sat.
cotton

Post by cotton »

guthooked wrote:Not a kayak guy myself but I would have thought that there would have been a lot more rocking from side to side during the fight. Are yak's that stable or is most of that just due to operator experience?
That's a Hobie pro angler and yes it is that stable. Some kayakers would consider it a boat. It weighs a 100 lbs.