Photo All-Release Tournament.....won't work?

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Photo All-Release Tournament.....won't work?

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Gulf Coast wrote:
Reel Cowboy wrote:I'm just so glad that I decided to check the ol forum out again today.
A buddy :smt006

Feels like coming home again, same folks complaining about the same stuff.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

Did anybody call you out by name? It was a general statement that could pertain to plenty of people. You felt the need to bash other fisherman for wanting to catch a legal limit of fish at a tournament and slight in a negative fashion, but when another opinion is voiced you want to play the victim all the sudden. I applaud your efforts and everyone else who works to keep the fisheries in working order, but don't turn around and make it a bad thing for people to want to catch and keep fish in a tournament. That seems like filling up the pantry with food, inviting everyone over, telling them they can't have anything to eat, or bashing them for taking the bigger size cupcake when there are plenty of bigger cupcakes being made everyday. The bottom line is this place is filled with a bunch of responsible fisherman who I don't believe are loading their boats up and fishing with the sole purpose of ruining the fishery by wanting to keep a few fish. There are 10 or so NFGFC tournaments a year and you always see nice fish weighed at each of them every year. If the trout population was taking a hit from overfishing or "all the breeder" fish are being snuffed out, would we still see them every single time there is a weigh in year after year after year?? I understand the theory behind the picture tournaments and its a good way to release fish unharmed, but I also understand wanting to catch your limit, bring them to the scales, win a competition, and take your prize home and deep fry it.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I appreciate you applauding my efforts.

I started this thread to point out an alternative way of holding a Trout and Redfish fishing tournament. One that did not require the entrants to kill a number of large female trout. Redfish would be the same problem if there was an over slot fish allowed. There would be dead 30 pound breeder Redfish posing for pictures and hardly anybody can even pretend to want to eat those.

Just an alternative.....not a threat to your existence.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

I rarely keep any fish of any kind or size, but when I do I don't want to be bashed, nor does anyone else on here I am sure. No threat taken, just tired of seeing people dragged through the mud over a damn fish.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

rockyg wrote:
BayGator wrote:Conservation is good and there are laws in place to keep the fisheries in good shape. Bashing other fisherman for not having the same approach as you is where the problem is.
Whereas bashing me is fine for having my own opinion that differs from some others? Have I used a derogatory name on here at any time directed at any individual? I'm just promoting something that I feel is important. Something that I have worked for, invested my time and money in, and believed in for over 30 years.

The groundwork we laid all those years ago is why you have Trout and Redfish to catch today. A lot of people from all over this state worked very hard for many years so you can catch a cooler full today. I'm very proud to have been part of that. Very proud.

I just don't want today's fishermen to forget the lessons of an over-harvested past so our kids and their kids can enjoy the sport we all love. So YES...I am willing to "push this conservation thing".
I am with ya Rockyg! It is always exciting to bring a big breeder fish to the scales for bragging rights, but when I have been fortunate enough to be the guy with the fish, I have felt a bit bad for keeping it and wouldn't have if it wasn't tournament day.

I think it is a great idea and would gladly participate....... if there is an offshore division that is. :-D No problem at all with people keeping fish, but think how many would be set free on big tournament days. The days where most of the larger fish tend to be caught anyway, because typically the more skilled fisherman fish tournaments. :thumbup:
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Again: This is why we can't have nice things.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
bman

Post by bman »

Barhopr wrote:Again: This is why we can't have nice things.
LOL.... This is all hilarious. :stupid_1

You are all entitled to an opinion. As long as we stay within the bounds of the law I don't see a problem.

As far as discussion on the board. Keep it civil and debate away.
Rockyg, your entitled to release every fish you want. Just don't bash the guys that keep some.
The rest of you stay legal and don't bash him for wanting to release fish.

Again, this is why I don't tournament fish. I have enough pressure at the office!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

That mean Gatorman called me a "douchebag armchair treehugger".

Make him stop Bman. :smt022 :smt058

:lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

This is all great in my opinion. Pretty soon everyone will learn that each person is entitled to their own opinion. There is no need to get over emotional about the argument but everyone's opinion is all valid.

Yes if overfishing is occurring then our coastal resources can be affected. However, going and catching your limit is not overfishing.

In response to the NBA analogy- Fish exhibit indeterminate growth in which they continue to grow until they die. So as long as the food is there the fish will grow to a large size.

The biggest reason why keeping large fish could cause harm is their fecundity. A large female fish over 20" can produce 5-10 times more eggs than a smaller female.
Reason- as the fish grows it puts its energy into growth but once a fish outgrows most predators it switches energy from growth to reproduction and in doing that they produce a greater quantity and quality of eggs.

Not trying to ruffle feathers just putting out a few reasons why both sides are equally right and were just arguing over opinions.
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Trout have been incredible of late with limits for many boats and trust me.... many boats have been out there.

Thursday, I had Bill and Melinda Blanton of Havana, Fl. out and we caught 15 trout weighing 30.2 pounds. Bill also managed a 27" redfish on a Thunder-Spin jigspinner with an Assassin chicken-on-a-chain tail. We caught all of the trout on live pinfish under Back Bay Thunders in 3.5 - 4 feet of water.Next we had our limit for Steven Cook, Matt and Slade Williams of Dallas, Ga. Friday and Saturday with half of our fish Saturday coming in on Assassin's Panhandle Moon 5" under an Original Cajun Thunder. We fished from 3.5 - 5' both days. Then on Sunday I took Mike Norris and Nic Wyatt of Macon, Ga. out and we landed 15 trout weighing 31 pounds! with a 4.2 and a 3.9 pound trout for top honors. We had two of the 15 on Assassin Panhandle Moon under a Cajun with the balance on live pinfish under the Back Bay from 3.5' - 4.5'

Here is a report from David Bosch of Tifton, Ga. who fished for five days at Keaton.

"Fished from 4/22 to 4/27 with Bil Gburek from PA ...now.. NC. Had pretty good fishing with some really great days mixed in. As a wise fisherman suggested, 'every day was different'. We picked up some nice trout up to 22", but not the Gators we've found in past years. We did pick up some nice slot reds and some overslot reds. We threw pretty much the tackle box at them. Pinfish were probably the most consistent producer, but Bil also had several good days including the first five fish in minutes on Friday with the #27 MirrOdine in the EC (electric chicken) color. I also had some pretty good success with Assassin's Pink Ghost 5" and with a MirOlures scented twitchbait in the electric chicken color. Reds were picked up on Thunder-Spins, top water, pinfish, and Bite-a-Bait fighters. We were primarily fishing in 2.5 - 5 ft. Dave Stewart joined us Friday and we had a limit of 20 trout.We also landed a keeper cobia both Thursday and Friday. "

Peng, and his son, Calvin Chee also of Tifton, Ga. were down Thursday and fished with live pinfish under Cajun Thunders and had their limit of trout with a keeper cobia of 25+ pounds.

HEY This Saturday, May 4th, is the Perry Optimist Club's 22th Annual Saltwater Fishing Tournament with over $13,000 in Cash and Prizes including a $3000 first place Biggest Trout Prize! Entry Fee $50 per angler $5.00 raffle tickets to win a boat, motor and trailer! Weigh-In at Keaton Beach Marina, Sea Hag Marina or Econfina River Resort. Fish from 7:00 a.m to 4:oo p.m Sharp Weigh-in Deadline. For More Info call FeeBee @ 850-843-0578 www.optimistclubperryfl.com

Come on down to Keaton this weekend and support this charity event which raises money for local area youth!
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

This thread is hilarious.
Team Jolly Mon
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Flint River Pirate wrote:This thread is hilarious.
I thought the golf forums or the Cowboys v Texans forum were hilarious but this does have a sense of back home funny.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

BayGator wrote:I rarely keep any fish of any kind or size, but when I do I don't want to be bashed, nor does anyone else on here I am sure. No threat taken, just tired of seeing people dragged through the mud over a damn fish.
Bay Gator,
No one bashed anyone in the original post "Mr. April' , maybe you should read it? You left out a word in your above comment! It should read "just tired of seeing people dragged through the mud over an "ILLEGAL" damn fish. Trying to justify ANYONE catching illegal fish on a sportsfishing forum is plain and simple wrong.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Just because its legal does not make it a best practice.
A few examples:
Its legal to cheat on your wife.
Its legal to not have a job and sponge off those of us who work everyday.
It is legal for you to keep every 8-10 lb bass and trophy trout you catch.

Here's a link related to trophy trout genetics:
http://www.americaoutdoors.com/fishing/ ... out_2.html

Try doing a google search on how to raise a trophy bass and see what you find. If you don't think genetics have anything to do with how big a fish gets. Just keep on doing what your doing.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

cotton wrote:Just because its legal does not make it a best practice.
A few examples:
Its legal to cheat on your wife.
Its legal to not have a job and sponge off those of us who work everyday.
It is legal for you to keep every 8-10 lb bass and trophy trout you catch.

Here's a link related to trophy trout genetics:
http://www.americaoutdoors.com/fishing/ ... out_2.html

Try doing a google search on how to raise a trophy bass and see what you find. If you don't think genetics have anything to do with how big a fish gets. Just keep on doing what your doing.
Wow. What's your take on the Romo & Schaub discussion?