Tough Tuesday(5-28)

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Tough Tuesday(5-28)

Post by flatsbroke »

Fished Econfina today from 1030 hrs-1600 and man did we worked hard for the little bag we drove home with!! No complaints about the weather,seas,tide,wind or the good fellowship but d$&n fellows.....I tried shallow and deep,every color gulp and SWA,every presentation and hear were the results- 4 keepers trout,1 big bluefish,1 Spanish,and 2 pink mouths from under the bird rack. Fished cabbage cr/Pitts area,Hickory Mound,almost Rock Island and all 3 bird racks. Big Bend Gyrene warned me of the poor bite due to last weeks full moon but I haven't been since feb and I couldn't take it anymore so I went when I could slip away from FD,kids and chores. Seen very few "GOOD" reports but the few that did anything were outstanding!!! We had a good time and didn't get skunked but if anyone might shed some light on WTH I did or DIDNT do,feel free to elaborate. The wife wants go go Fri(our only chance for 2 more weeks) and I'm wondering if I should just save my cash or hit Lanark,maybe Keaton??? Thanks,Todd Braswell
Flatsbroke
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Re: Tough Tuesday(5-28)

Post by flatsbroke »

??
Flatsbroke
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

SEEMS LIKE TO ME THE FISH ARE JUST NOT ON THE FLATS, THE LAST TWO TIME I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GO WAS RIGHT ON THE FULL MOON AND I KNOW THE SALT WATER SPECIES JUST DO NOT FEED DURING THE DAY WHEN THERE IS A FULL MOON. THE WIND WAS ALSO A FACTOR SINCE WE COULD NOT DO ANY SIGHT FISHING FOR REDS WITH WHITE-CAPS ON THE BAY. COULD BE THAT SINCE I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FISH LIKE I USE TO, WHICH WAS AT LEAST 1 TIME A WEEK, I NEED TO GET IN MORE FISHING TIME AND BACK IN THE OLD HABITS , RETRAIN MYSELF TO WHERE , WHAT, WHEN TO GO FISHING. THE FISHING ON OUR POND HAS BEEN GREAT , THE LITTLE POND DOES NOT GET TOO MUCH PRESSURE FROM PEOPLE FISHING IT.
MAYBE THINGS WILL PICK UP NEXT WEEK.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Full moon and associated elements (Makers made its Mark) did affect last weekend. Also falling out tide in am does not blend well with my preference for shallow water top water at daybreak. That being said we worked and moved more than usual and wound up Fri and Sat with nice catches. Everything is full of eggs so that's a good sign.
I have no explanation for the lack of trout in 3-5 foot that is my usual MO this time of year. Water clarity is becoming less of an issue with each week it seems.
Catch or not I always have fun!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

tough catching in Cedar Key! fished 4 days (fri thur mon. ) had a limit of 19 TO 21 TROUT monday and 7 to 8 the other days for a party of 3 fished 8 to 10 yhours to do what we did.
bigblister
Site Sponsor

Post by bigblister »

We fished hard 5-25 (sat) and 5-26 (sun) with not much luck. We were out of Keaton which has produced some good fish the past 4 trips. I think the moon played a big factor along with the nuts driving boats within 100 yards on almost every drift. I am becoming a big believer on fishing the week before a full moon instead of after. We did hook up with some trout and cobia but had to throw everything in the tackle box and really didn't catch a whole lot. Also, the folks that did seem to get close to a limit were fishing with live pinfish..... go figure. :-D
Blister
Matthew 4:19
bman

Post by bman »

Move a lot and slow down your retrieve!

Fish were scattered for me on Monday... tried several new spots and would have hot action for 5-10 min and then nothing.
Move on to another spot and the same thing... They absolutely bit the first hour or two after the tide change.

Also noticed they bit slow... I was working my jig or thunder about 1/2 the speed as normal.
Many times they picked it up when it was sitting still and the tide was taking it.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Flatsbroke, per my earlier post I MUCH prefer the week leading into the full moon versus the week after. Love the new moon bite too. Based on my own catch data, if I only could pick two times a month to go it would be the new moon and a couple of days out BEFORE the full moon, but that's just my .02... appreciate some board members feel differently.

As for the trout, I don't typically target them but we caught them the last two trips out while trying to catch bait for offshore fishing... caught them a good bit deeper than I was expecting...10 to 12', and not a short among them. Water temps may have them already seeking out deeper honey holes. :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

We caught 15 on Saturday, 3 man limit, lots of shorts. 8ft and out on the bottom, no cork! You guys are way to shallow.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Weekend before last we caught them in 7-7 1/2' lime green soft baits on a 1/4oz jig head was the ticket. A guy at work fished Saturday and only had 2 trout, 1 BSB and a spanish. If you go back head out 180* and start in 10' working back in. :beer:
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

My last trip to St Marks was tough too. Of course it was windy and raining... The fish we did find were all between 6 and 8 feet. I think we could have done better if we fished slower but the wind was pushing us pretty good. I should have just anchored, fished the area, pulled anchor, drifted into new water and dropped the anchor again. I did go buy a drift sock after that.

I've never seen them this deep this time of the year. Any ideas on this? The water isn't THAT warm. Is it a spawning thing?
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Thanks for the replies,men. Tough fishing indeed....Not so sure I can talk her out of going this Friday even with the poor reports and hot weather.She is the submissive,kind,humble sweetheart that allows me to wear the pants :-D but y'all know when a woman has her mind set.....well,unless a hurricane comes up in the next two days I probably gotta take the poor girl,I mean she loves it as much as we do(not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet). Anywho..looks like I better head deep and get it jiggin',huh?? :roll: Thanks again and best of luck on the next outing. Todd Braswell
Flatsbroke