What a great fishing day!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

What a great fishing day!

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

Finally, some decent weather with low wind! We planned on heading out of Shields at 6:00 am, but forgot they were closed on Monday! So, no boat in water overnight. Would have to call in the morning to have her put in at 7:00 am. Headed out at 7:30 ish to OAR 2. Catherine doesn't have her line in the water 3 minutes and connects with a Cobia! It's a keeper. Got it to the boat and it ran under the boat and cut the line. :smt010 Next up was a flounder. Keeper, but small so threw him back. 24" mackerel that went in the cooler with a few nice size white grunt. Oh and a big puffer fish that the girls had fun taking pictures of. Headed over to the 24 barge and to a few spots some friends gave us within a mile or so. Caught a few more grunt, a nice keeper flounder and..... a 15" Hogfish. :D Finished out with a Gag Grouper, but only 19". :smt022 and a 4' shark.

The water was glass or less than one foot roll all day. All in all as great day to be fishing!
Hogfish7913.jpg
grouper7913.jpg
Catch7913.jpg
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: What a great fishing day!

Post by Jumptrout51 »

WHOSE FISH IS IT?
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

The Back Porch
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Nice day of catchin'
Looks like the seas were great
now for some good eating :lick:
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Great day, we're heading out here very soon to see what we can find.
kgarner1

Post by kgarner1 »

How long does it take to get to OAR reef from lighthouse? and how deep is it? Thanks
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

OAR 2 is 13 miles from the lighthouse. We cruise at around 24 mph. It took us about an hour. If I recall, water depth was 27 feet where we were.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

With your big screen and surround sound on , you are there before you know it :lol:
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Funny you should say that! I told Ken we need to put a fold down outdoor flat screen on the back ski tower and install one of those small satellites. :-D Don't think that's going to happen!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Good report. Y'all be careful going out that far in a pontoon boat. I'm sure you know how quickly seas can become dangerous in the summer. I can't imaging a tooner taking 4-5 footers.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Yep! We are very mindful of the weather and cautious. We only go that far out on calm days and watch the weather carefully. The first inkling of seas picking up we head back. Believe it or not, that boat with three 27" toons, solid aluminum sidewalls, 80 gallon fuel tank, 250 Merc Verado, etc., weighs in at 6,500 lbs. It has been sea tested from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini, Key West to the Dry Tortugas and elsewhere. Despite the fact that it apparently can handle some pretty rough weather, we don't venture out like that unless the weather looks great! No taking chances here!
Last edited by tallykenjsbetterhalf on July 10th, 2013, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Also remember gags are closed in state waters( 4 counties) now. It would have been more of a :smt022 If it was over 22".
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

We couldn't manage to get a keeper grouper in state waters before the season closed. So, when the weather was favorable yesterday, we headed out to federal waters to see if we could get a keeper. No luck though! Those days are few and far between. Wish we could have caught one, but we still got a good haul for the day and had a blast!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I realized as I typed that you said oar 2. My mistake, def in fed waters. Keep after it, you will get that keeper gag. For me a cobia is much more fun to catch. I bet that big cobia gave young Catherine all she wanted. My arms are still sore from the one I caught on Sunday. Go get em!!!