Big Bend Saltwater classic day 1

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SoleSearcher

Big Bend Saltwater classic day 1

Post by SoleSearcher »

Day 1

The Big Bend Saltwater Classic started off with mostly sunny skies and SE wind which let me and my party of 1 tuck behind the barrier islands in search of that big Trout, Mackerel or Flounder.

We started off on in Poston Bayou using a combination of live baits, jigs and topwater plugs. Redfish provided plenty of action but the big Trout were not interested. So we started to move east, down the flats toward Turkey point. On one stop near the Carrabelle River we picked up a nice 3 LB Flounder on a jig which may just be a contender for the leader board and several Trout in the 3 LB range.

Continuing east, we picked up Trout here and there, but no big ones. At Turkey point, the Blues and Ladyfish were too numerous so we headed back west and cut across the bay to try our luck behind Dog and St. George Island. We picked up several Mackerel near the East pass but nothing that would make the leader board.

We arrived a Marsh Island a little past 2 PM and worked it with live Pilchards, Shrimp, jigs and plugs which paid off big with several nice Trout but still no big ones.

A little further to the West, we came across a a favorite spot of mine which usually holds decent Trout and it was no exception today as we finally managed to pick up a big one on a live Pilchard. On my scale it weighs in a 5 LB, 14 OZ which is at least a challenge on the leader board.

We finished up the day looking for a big Mackerel only to find schools in the 2 LB range. Tomorrow is another day and another party.

Until next time, tighten up!

Capt. Bob Soderholm
Sole Searcher Charters
Carrabelle, FL
(850) 899-0455
Member, National Association of Charterboat Operators