Throwing cold water on somebody's nice catch...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

konrad

Re: Throwing cold water on somebody's nice catch...

Post by konrad »

Salty Gator I completely agree with you about releasing a breeder trout and it is extremely disappointing to see people on this forum chastise you for that comment. I guess that’s just one of differences between a true sportsmen and meet hunters.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

konrad wrote:Salty Gator I completely agree with you about releasing a breeder trout and it is extremely disappointing to see people on this forum chastise you for that comment. I guess that’s just one of differences between a true sportsmen and meet hunters.
A wholly incorrect statement. If you speak with folks that you view as "true sportsmen," read about the development of sportsmen or have developed into one yourself, then you'll realize that a focus on MEAT, or lack thereof, is not the difference. There are about 5 phases of sportsmen evolution that are well documented, supported by research and widely accepted. Paraphrased, the development typically progresses as follows: harvest everything you see, focus on limits and success, seeking trophies, seeking trophies trough a chosen medium, not needing to harvest anything but appreciating the experience and finally wanting to share it with others. H&M could be anywhere in this progress; I don't know the man. However, taking your family and allowing a novice angler harvest of a nice fish does not equate to not being a true sportsman. He could be in the most sophisticated phase of developing other anglers who will give back to the sport for many years. I have also seen his significant effort to introduce his family to deer hunting rather than trying to be successful as he can indiviudally.

It is sad that some choose to chastise folks for their progression through this process or try impose personal opinion as if were fact. Think about the phases, and you can probably determine where you are. I find myself fluctuating between a couple of the differnt phases. Sometimes that fluctuation is the result of who I'm with or where I am, othertimes it is just my mood that day. I only keep inshore fish on two occassions. The first occassion is when fishing a tournament that requires weigh-in and the second is when my land-locked parents are coming to town and want fish to take home. I've gone from auto-loaders to bows and occassionally will trade conventional equipment for a buggy whip. Sometimes I seek trophy fish, but I've spent several recent days trying to ensure an enjoyable trip for my friend's 7 year old boy. You can bet when that boy catches his first gator trout it will come home. On the way home we'll discuss what just happened, how well we'll eat that night and whether he will want to keep the next one he catches.

Just some Thursday morning rambling that everyone can ingore, but the narrow-minded approach to conservation on this forum is frustrating. Lets not even get into conservation vs. preservation and whether harvesting fish is appropriate at all. Stop the fish hating of those who catch fish and focus on catching some of your own to share with the forum or of greater significance those you care about.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Very well said S.B. :thumbup: :thumbup:
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

slowroller wrote:Very well said S.B. :thumbup: :thumbup:
X 2 :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
konrad

Post by konrad »

I am familure with the 5 steps and would say anyone in the first two aren’t true sportsman yet. They don’t have the experience or knowledge to understand the true meaning of those words yet.

That isn’t my real problem with this post though. It’s not even that someone’s wife, kid or grandmother kept an over slot fish. It’s the fact that someone made a relatively polite statement on wishing the fish was let go and Rhettley is chastising him for it. Next time send the person a PM or give him a call to discuss the matter.

I spoke with Salty Gator last night about this thread. He stated he has received a lot of support from forum members through text. Apparently most of people didn’t want to make their comments known on this thread because of the backlash they would surly receive. I personally don’t give a crap because I’m done with this forum anyways. The petty BS that goes on here is just too frustrating.

Bman, Please cancel my login. I’m done with this site.
Last edited by konrad on August 1st, 2013, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

wrong again. I've not directed any comments to SG, my comments were a response to your post. Just b/c people accept that a fish was harvested does not mean those people aren't sportsmen. Likewise it does it mean the anglers that havested said fish are not sportsmen. The harvesting of a specific fish has nothing to do with that harvester's evolution as a sportsman. I was chastising the use of broad statements applied inappropriately to a large portion of this forum's membership, many of whom I consider true sportsmen that will help develop the next generation of sportsment. See Ya!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
cotton

Post by cotton »

With the exception of those at both ends of this conversation, I don't believe most folks on this site are very far apart in their views. For example, I'm with Showboat when it comes to taking newbies fishing. You do what you have to do to make sure they enjoy the trip. In my opinion, keeping, preparing and eating fish, helps feed the addiction. Like I said before, If you have to keep it to insure their hooked. Keep the fish.

It was only a few years ago, when I kept every fish I caught. I got to fish about once a month. Then my wife sent me on my first Kayak trip, and I saw an opportunity to do a lot more fishing. When you fish a lot, every trip changes you. Your appreciation of big fish really grows.

You will never bring the extreme elements together. The problem is most of those that post fall into the extremes.

We should all agree, that criticism has no place in response to a fishing report. No one is forced to do one, and we should appreciate those that do.

Likewise, when someone expresses their opinion on a subject like this, he shouldn't be insulted. This is an opinion post, not a fishing report. I'm as guilty as everyone else when it comes to this. Everyone's goals are not the same. Some folks are happy catching 1 gator trout a year. Other's would like to catch one every trip.

Gone fishin...
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Personally, I like to eat bigger trout. That's because I prefer my trout broiled or grilled, and the thicker filets work better. If I was frying them then it is not that important. However, I don't fish as often as I wish I could, and I don't catch a lot of gator trout either. So when I do I like to keep one, which is all you can keep. If I go fishing 6 - 7 a year I would be thrilled. I haven't been since last November (4 month old baby) and a trailer that needs new springs. Not only that but trout morbidity is pretty high with released fish so there's a decent chance the fish you release will die any way. I keep the fish we will eat and nothing more. And with a five day limit, meat fishermen don't do that we'll with trout. Keep or release is a personal choice and expressing either view is fine but don't do it when some one is posting a fishing report and is thrilled about their catch, especially new fishermen, women and children. It's just not appropriate and is very off putting for them.
My suggestion is start a new thread and express your view in a manner that does not single out anyone. Express your view and the facts concerning it and every one will be informed and not fill attacked. It's basically about common courtesy.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

cotton wrote:With the exception of those at both ends of this conversation, I don't believe most folks on this site are very far apart in their views. For example, I'm with Showboat when it comes to taking newbies fishing. You do what you have to do to make sure they enjoy the trip. In my opinion, keeping, preparing and eating fish, helps feed the addiction. Like I said before, If you have to keep it to insure their hooked. Keep the fish.

It was only a few years ago, when I kept every fish I caught. I got to fish about once a month. Then my wife sent me on my first Kayak trip, and I saw an opportunity to do a lot more fishing. When you fish a lot, every trip changes you. Your appreciation of big fish really grows.

You will never bring the extreme elements together. The problem is most of those that post fall into the extremes.

We should all agree, that criticism has no place in response to a fishing report. No one is forced to do one, and we should appreciate those that do.

Likewise, when someone expresses their opinion on a subject like this, he shouldn't be insulted. This is an opinion post, not a fishing report. I'm as guilty as everyone else when it comes to this. Everyone's goals are not the same. Some folks are happy catching 1 gator trout a year. Other's would like to catch one every trip.

Gone fishin...
Well put Cotton! I completely agree. Of course we should release big fish if keeping them isn't that important, but every situation is different. I see both sides here. See ya'll tonight at Beef's! :lick: :beer:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Back when I fished 3 or more days a week, I would release most of the big Trout and Bass that I caught :thumbup: Now that I hardly ever fish :smt012 I keep every legal fish that I catch and still have no fish in my freezer :smt010 So I have been on both sides of the pond and I would never tell someone that they should not keep a legal fish!! Sorry ta see ya go Konrad :smt006 and good luck in finding a better group of folks than there is right here on BBF :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Fellas, I have apologizes th h&m for not posting a positive remark. He was very kind in accepting my apology.
As far as I'm concerned his is over. I still stand behind my beliefs and will not try to change the minds of meat fisherman.
I'd like to point out that I've released over 50 trout over 23-24 inches between alligator harbor and carabelle. There is a possibility that I caught and released the very fish that mrs h&m caught and ate. So I would think the folks that enjoy eating big trout would appreciate fish hippies such as myself.
Here's two pics of some nice trout that were released in July

[IMG]http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ull-21.jpg[/IMG

Also I'd like to put my money where my mouth is,if the wife or kid of a BBF member catches a trout 24" or over, between aug 1 2013 and aug 1 2014, and chooses to release it. Send me the pic and I will buy a frame for it. That pic will last a lot longer than the memory of the taste. And just think, you could look at your good fish and be happy that you let her go for another to fight someday. Honor system in effect. Obviously this would be out of my pocket.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The second pic didn't come out

Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Well hot dayum! That's pretty impressive. I like it!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

SG, you are a good guy.
Team Jolly Mon
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice fish SG! I too am a "fish Hippie," unless it is tourney day. I've even made RC leave gator trout b/c it wasn't tourney day.

I'll never forget RC's face after catching and releasing 6-8 trout over 25" in about 30 minutes then telling him I wouldn't go back through the area. Thought he was going to push me out of the boat when I finally said I would go back if he was willing to take the hooks off of his plug :D