Best Time to Come Fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pastorterry

Best Time to Come Fishing

Post by pastorterry »

I want to bring my son fishing this fall for a graduation present. I am looking for info and input as to the best time to come. Any time in October to the end of November will work. I need to hear from the experienced folks. Reds, trout, flounder etc. Can ya'll help me?
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
spoton
Site Sponsor

Re: Best Time to Come Fishing

Post by spoton »

Your time slot hits the sweet spot of the year for inshore fishing in this area in my opinion. Summer thunderstorms storms are all over (of course a late season hurricane can always sneak in there), and cooler weather brings a better bite and more comfortable fishing. You can pretty much choose your dates from that range; although all through October and early November are probably your best bet. Late in November there are sometimes cold fronts that can shot down the bite and chase the trout off the flats and into the rivers.
tabb

Post by tabb »

Looking in my freezer and it seems that last nov 7th was a great trip. Need to eat some fish and make room for some deer meat.
Had blacken trout and scallops with grits. :lick:

Keep an eye on the weather, water temp and tides. I prefer to fish during the week when smaller crowds.
My father says" go when you can".
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

I'm a big fan of solunar though also admittedly practice the "go when I can" philosophy. First weekend of both Oct and Nov fall on new moons. Barring any unusual weather problems (hurricane / tropical storms) you could do worse than to target either one of those weekends. :thumbup: :beer:

Ditto on the advice not to wait until the end of Nov. Have had good trips out that late but far less predictable. Honestly, I would put normally put September ahead of November in my month ranking list, though cobia have a big part to play in that as they are usually migrating through in September. :-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

All of the above gave you very good advice.

The long deceased owner of our local livestock market which sale day was Tuesday gave this answer to people inquiring when was the best time to sell.

"If you didn't sell last Tuesday this Tuesday or if you can't sell this Tuesday, next Tuesday."

Using all the good advice given above, the best time is yesterday, if not yesterday today and if not today tomorrow. :D
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

The late Jack Wingate would tell you "Cuz, they bit yesterday, and they'll bite tomorrow".

I'll agree with BBG. The first week of October looks pretty good.
What was I supposed to do today?
pastorterry

Post by pastorterry »

Hey thanks for all the input. (keep it coming. I need all the help I can get!)
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)