Big Bend Saltwater Classic day 2

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SoleSearcher

Big Bend Saltwater Classic day 2

Post by SoleSearcher »

Day 2

Sunny skies and SW winds greeted me and my party for the second day of the Big Bend Saltwater Classic. Trout, Mackerel and Flounder were on our agenda so our first stop was an area known as the "Hockey Hole" just outside the Carrabelle River. A nice Trout near 5 lbs slammed a Top Dog on the first cast, bit this was the only keeper sized Trout we saw today. Numerous Redfish were holed up around the oyster bar and deeper edges, along with a school of Mackerel running the deeper grass bottom beyond the range marker.

As the winds increased, we decided to try the backside of Dog Island. Mackerel dotted the flats along with numerous small Trout, Blues and Ladyfish but nothing to make the leaderboard.

Looking at the forecast, we made the decision to head for the dock and wait until early evening and try the surf and possibly make a short offshore run for a stab at a few Kings.

A little before 7:00 PM, the winds were laying down enough for the "Sole Searcher" to head out to an area I staked out last week which held a few big Kings. I set the kite out with 2 stinger rigs, one with a live Blue Runner, the other with a Mackerel and Cigar Minnow. 2 flat lines under floats were rigged with live Blue Runners and Cigar Minnows. Within minutes, the Mackerel got slammed by a nice King and the fight was on! There's nothing like seeing a big King slam a kite line. They rocked out of the water like a Tarpon!

The king put up a good battle but was no match for my stingers which I make myself out of 40 LB coffee color wire, a #4 blood hook followed by 2 tiny treble hook trailers...all attached to a Penn Power Graph with a Shimanu Calcutta reel spooled up with 30 LB test mono.

As we were boating the fish, a near 25 pounder, the second kite line took off with an even bigger fish...this one was estimated around 30 lbs. With the sun setting fast and ominous dark skies to the North, we headed for the dock with our 2 kings. It was too late to weigh in so the fish are under heavy ice and water until morning.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I stopped by C-Quarters to check out the leader boards and gossip only to learn that several monster fish have weighed in...including a near 50 LB King and a 70+ pound Cobia. I don't think our King is big enough to place on the board, but my party is going to weigh in anyway. My party from yesterday is holding a spot on the leader board.

Until next time, Keep those tips up!

Capt. Bob Soderholm
Sole Searcher Charters
Carrabelle, FL
(850) 899-0455
Member, National Association of Charterboat Operators