SGI - Aug 23

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

SGI - Aug 23

Post by Terrier »

Went out to SGI today and fished at the Youth Camp Boat Ramp / Rattlesnake Cove. Got rained on but nothing bad and the thunder stayed east and west of us for the most part.
I didn't expect much due to the recent rain but ended up with:

22" and 15" trout
2 approx 3lb Jack Crevalles
4 croaker

Also got broke off by what felt like a nice slot redfish. The jacks and large trout came on a green/pearl polarflash clouser. The rest came on a small brown/olive green fiddler crab pattern.

The water was murky but not as bad as I had feared. There were also huge black drum rolling in the shallows at the boat ramp - they had tail fins like catchers mitts.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: SGI - Aug 23

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks for the good report. Sounds like you had fun!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

So, you are a fly fisherman? I looked up the green/pearl polarflash clouser and it seems to be a fly?

I'm not a fly fisherman but have thrown lots of popping bugs and such on a cain pole, throw fishing. I've often thought about getting a long pole and throwing some flies/bugs on the flats. That would be fun catching a large trout on a pole.

I know you had fun!

Thanks for teaching me something.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Polarflash really lights up in the water - I've had good luck with it this year. This is the fly that I've been doing well with trout and jacks:

A gold version also works with flounder and should work on reds although I haven't had much luck with reds this year.
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Interesting twist on the clouser. :thumbup:
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Yeah - it's a more of an oversize Gotcha or a Charlie with a tail. I use floss or braid underbody overwrapped with D-rib or something similar, then coat with liquid fusion. Sometimes I use craft fur for the wing. I tie lots of variations:

It's mostly a dirty or off-color water fly, although the silver/pearl ones do well in clear water.
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

:thumbup: :thumbup: