Trouble with my Lowrance LCX-28c-HD

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jhults11

Trouble with my Lowrance LCX-28c-HD

Post by Jhults11 »

Hey all. I recently acquired a Lowrance LCX-28c-HD GPS/Depth Finder that came with the boat I bought last month. I used it a few times and it worked great but last week when I was out it quit working and the screen would say "GPS module not responding". I tried working with it the last few days but just can't seem to get the GPS portion of the unit working. I checked all the connections but they seem good. After researching the Internet like crazy I think the GPS lowrwnce "puck" in the back of the boat (reception antenna) may have gone bad. I was just curiouse if anyone else on this forum has had his problem with their lowrance unit and if so, how did you go about fixing it. Thanks in advance!!
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Trouble with my Lowrance LCX-28c-HD

Post by SS-342 »

I would first want to check out the unit. Can you take it off your boat and hook it up some where else to test it?
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

I had a Lowrance Unit 113C-HD and that same thing happened and it turned out to be the antennna.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

This has happened to my 525 on several occasions and one time I was able to resolve it by going in and resetting to the default factory settings. Another time it was the antenna.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Had the same issue on my Lowrance unit.

1. Check voltage on the battery.
2. Check connections to make sure plugs are properly connected.
3. Check power and antenna cables for nicks and possible shorts.
4. Try re-setting to factory defaults.
5. If possible, try head unit on another boat to rule that out.
6. If problem persists, buy a new antenna. They do go bad fairly often and there's no way to repair since they're potted and sealed.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Thanks for the info guys!!
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Outdoorsnole

Post by Outdoorsnole »

I have the 26c hd and mine did the same thing or wouldn't pick up a signal. It would occasionally but always dropped it.

I looked all over the place for answers too. I had to do a hard reset on it. I lost some things that I didn't have saved but it fixed the problem. I did read that one of the series of pucks notoriously go bad and need to be updated.