So who went to Bass Pro?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

So who went to Bass Pro?

Post by bman »

They are here and we can't ignore them.
I was invited to go in a day early...
Nice looking store and mounts. I know my kids will like the aquarium. Lots and lots and lots of clothes.
b3.jpg
b2.jpg
Got to love the ducks lighting into the aquarium.
b1.jpg
I'm glad I didn't try to go last night. Word is over 10,000 people went through the gates.
The lines were ridiculous
b4.jpg
Then a buddy posted this photo first thing this morning.
b5.jpg
It's just a sporting goods store people!

Go get it out of your system and be sure to support our local shops- SGO and KEVINS.
I know they are both pricing to compete and their staff knows what works here :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: So who went to Bass Pro?

Post by DEMON »

Drove by on my way home to see what kind of circus it was going to be. Lines of people, cars parked everywhere. Didn't stop just kept heading to the house. It ain't going anywhere!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We are driving over today and spending the day in Tallahassee. Wanted to take in a movie but none to our liking. We'll tag along with the wife and do whatever. Eating, shopping and a visit to BassPro are in the cards.

Several items on sale I was interested in looking over. Might make a purchase and might not? Depends!

It'll beat the heck out of the hay field! Had rather be in the gulf!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

There is nothing in that store that I need or even desire to get involved with that circus! Those lines are crazy. If I need what they got, I'll get it at Crums!
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

I understand and agree 110% about givng preference to the local shops. In fact, I just bought a gun from a locally owned shop yesterday and paid about $60 more for it than the same gun that was in stock at WalMart. But, I also think it's important to keep in mind that even the big box stores employ a lot of local people and pay a lot of local taxes. So, I will still do some of my shopping at Bass Pro, Academy , etc. and not feel too terribly guilty about it.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

How does this compare to the Destin store? Size, selection, decor?
850-273-8818
bbb

Post by bbb »

lonesouth wrote:How does this compare to the Destin store? Size, selection, decor?
Not sure. It's an Outpost, not a Outdoor World. The one in Destin looks like a Wide World of Sports.

They have their first negative review from Anthony Peters:

I WILL NEVER SHOP AT THE BASS PRO IN TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA EVER AGAIN!!!!!! They advertise that the first 200 people in will receive a gift card ranging from $5-$100. We stood in line for 4 hours in the rain, we were the 15th people in line. About an hour before they open they get on the stage and start to talk, so a whole crowd of people flood around the stage and the front door. So they continue to talk and talk and talk and talk.... Now it is 6:40, almost an hour after they said they would be open. Everyone in line how now gotten furious, an old lady starts to shout and yell, a manager {Josh} comes out to calm her down and tells her they will be opening shortly. I ask Josh about the line and if there will be any sort of regulating when they open. He tells me "No there is no give away or anything going on, don't worry everyone will get in" Wait a second now your telling me I have been standing in line for now over 4 hours for the give away that you advertised on your website, in the add that you gave me in line, and on the news that morning..... Now comes the time they let everyone in, but wait the open the doors on the other side start to hold the line of people who have been there all day back and let the crowd of people who just arrived in. we finally make it in after about 150-200 people and it is complete disappointment for a BASS PRO Shops.

Sorry but waiting in line for 4 hours at a chance of getting a $5-$100 gift card. No thanks. Then again I've never attended the midnight madness, black friday sales either.

I was going to drive over this morning, but might give it another week. Will be a good time to hit Dicks and Academy though.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

George and I were there this am. Showed up at around 7 and were #49 and 50 in line. The giveaways wee posted in adverts. Today was gift card, thurs is lure friday is a back and sat I believe is lure as well.

They gave out coupons for first 200 to receive a $5 - 100 gc to be awarded after purchase (even though Jeff the GM stated no purchase necessary as he walked by and someone asked him). We were in there abt 90mins before we checked out and had no problem getting one.

Sorry for your troubles, though.

Prices were pretty high for most things, though they had a great selection of deepwater stuff, things you have to order online or go to BBM or BWO.

I'lL continue to shop local; but may hit the casual sales there
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
bbb

Post by bbb »

Just left. Not very big. Maybe the size of Academy? Very pretty store.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We just got back. It was a very pretty store and about the right size for me, not nearly as big as Destin which is too big. We bought a few things that was on sale. Mainly needed a day off and had a Christmas BassPro gift card to use. Seemed to have a good selection of near shore and off-Shore baits but priced higher that what I can buy in Perry.

Then we went to the Academy Store. It looked just like the one in Valdosta. They have some good sales at times but not today.

I buy local but don't cut my nose off to spite my face. If you want my money, you had better get RIGHT!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I have been to Academy, Dicks, and now BPS. I have not been overly impressed by any of them. I am primarily a flats angler. I do not hunt and only occasionally go camping. Most of my observations are from a shallow saltwater angler's perspective.
The quality of tackle and the diversity (colors, sizes...etc.) are not up to Kevin's. Prices are generally higher also. The staff seems to more interested in satisfying the corporate model of doing business than actually conversing with customers.
There might be a few odds and ends that are available at the "big box" stores, that I might purchase, rather than ordering online, but the local guys will continue to get 95% of my business.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

I went yesterday around mid day. The store I think is a little larger than the Destin store and the mounts and displays are great. As for the pricing, I think Crum's and C-Quarters Marina and some of the other locals has better pricing. I did find something you can't find anywhere around here (wind on Leaders) I use these on my ele reels for deep drop fishing so I was pleased to see they had some. Bass pro has good pricing on their private label apparel and had 3X sizes and larger sizes in pants and shorts for we fat folks. None of the locals carry the larger sizes and this is one reason I will shop at Bass Pro.
The offshore selection was better than most stores that have opened here and that was good to see.
So I will shop at BP and spread the purchases around. Competition is a good thing and they are hiring local folks too, so I wish them good luck.
The check out lines where short and they got you out quickly.
I will say that every time I have been to Academy The check out lines are long and usually only one or two lines are open. Not a lot of offshore stuff but a good selection of near shore items. West Marine is high on the fishing items they have but the boating items that are hard to find locally. No 3X shirts in West Marine, Dick's or Academy. Can you tell that is a biggie with me. So I think you will see me in Bass Pro more for that reason.
So I'm not wishing bad luck to any of the locals but it is great to see we have a much better selection of choices for our hunting, fishing and marine items here this area. Competition, inventories and customer service will sort them out.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

NOT A CHANCE! :smt012
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »