St. Marks Catfish Story 9.21.2013

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

St. Marks Catfish Story 9.21.2013

Post by mjsigns »

Went fishing yesterday out of St. Marks. It was kind of overcast, and a light breeze was blowing at the ramp. Me and Shawn and “Kip The –Sea Dog” pushed of from the dock around 10:am. Maybe twenty trailers in the parking area not crowed at all. This was my first fishing trip since May?? Well we got out to the bird rack with a good breeze blowing out of the south west. Made a wide turn to the east and tried to get up on plane. Stopped pretty quickly when I found we were only in 1.5’ of water. Trimmed her up and took it slow eastward. The sea was a little upset throwing some 3’ swells in a 1.5’ chop. It was nasty and we were both already soaked in salt water and all the gear ect…. It felt good to be out there almost totally alone except tor the hard core partiers on the big sand bar by the rack. Finally found 6-8 foot of water and started a drift. The swells and chop made it impossible to stand up. But it was fishable. The water looked a deep dark brown (visibility 1.5’ 80.2 degrees. We immediately started getting hits from pinfish. Later I caught a lizard fish. Kip was trying to eat that thing live. Then the catfish started hitting anything we threw (jigging). So I catch this 3 LB catfish and am using my "super catfish grabber tool". I am holding him in the ultimate “death grip”. I get the hook out and start to release this guy and…. “BAM” I get finned in the middle finger. I am experienced and skilled as an artist. “Damn ! “ I let it rip out. This guy just “speared me to the bone”, and just swam away. I treat it like a rattle snake bite. Sucking the poison out and spitting blood over-board. I did this about 3-4 times as the pain takes over. Then I break out the first aid kit and apply alcohol wipes and smear the blood everywhere. I then apply some Neosporin and wrap it off with a single band aid. As the pain passes, I start fishing again, and more catfish. I figure it’s that time of year for them. 2:pm -The wind picks up to a steady 20 knots and white caps all around. We pack it in and head back to the hill, and get re-soaked all the way back to the mouth of the river. Got home at 3:pm, no fish to clean, used some fuel but it was kind of fun.

I wake up in Sunday morning and my finger is huge. I remove the band aid and squeeze all kinds of fluid out. It is nasty and painful. Went on to church as usual and were headed home and only then notice my whole hand has swelled up like a ripe tomato. We call Urgent Care and make an appointment for 2:30. I was exhausted when I was summoned through the doors to a waiting lady nurse to weigh in and get my vitals. A Lady Dr came in and took a look and asked if it was ok to "lance" the pound then she issues orders, 2 syringes of antibiotics. I tried to resist.. “Why two shots? I can handle the lance, but two shots?” The nurse calls the Doc and says it’s two shots or you sign a “refusal to receive care” form on a clip board in her hand-… I am at a loss of words. My negotiations failed. The Doc says, "how bout we give them two shots together at the same time”. I agree thinking it would be easier this way, kind of like one shot. The doc says drop’em (my pants) and put your elbows on the table. I am freaking out, I hate needles… I beg them to please don’t hit any bones (cause I have no ass what so ever). “BAM” the needles hit at the same time, one left cheek, one right. Four long seconds tick by and it seems to be “over”. Lady Doc and nurse both get the grins (I think they liked my skinny booty). I am glad also, it’s over. She prescribes me some kick-but antibiotics (three prescriptions).
6:45 – My booty is sore, there is no comfortable “spot” to sit in this house, and my hand is still puffed up and am in recovery mode.

Moral of the report....Be careful with them catfish. No matter how many times you've un-hooked them, remember this story and be careful with each one every time. All it takes is 1/2 a careless second. :(
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.