10/18/13 Crazy Fishing Action!

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

10/18/13 Crazy Fishing Action!

Post by big bend gyrene »

Had been eyeballing the 10/18 day for several weeks as an ideal date to target (full moon phase is my favorite). Was planning on chasing my beloved cobes out of Ecky... BUT... after seeing reports of flat conditions combined with the first ever "0.0" wave forecast, I decided to do something I rarely do... mix things up and go out of the west. Put in at Rock Landing Marina, the very first time I've ever made a trip out of Panacea.

While Woopty's awesome cobia report did make me get a bit misty eyed, still don't regret having changed things up.

Much like with Woopty's report we found the bite crazy steady ALL DAY long. Honestly were slow to get offshore because the mouth of Dickerson bay was boiling. We caught nice macks and ladyfish at will, moving from bait pod to bait pod, with diving birds constantly guiding the way as pods would break apart and reform. Going to share a video below, but it doesn't do justice to the frenzied action... it was 360 around us and never stopped. I didn't even capture the peak on film.

With GLASS FLAT water (blender feeding aside), I warned Ontilttttt and Wolfeman that we were playing a suckers' game fighting inshore fish we'd caught before when we could go offshore for much heavier fun.

Ran W.O.T. out to K Tower only to find it covered in AJs as well a few big cudas. Neither Ontilttttt or I had AJs crossed off the bucket list when we arrived, but with each bait dropped slammed almost instantly it didn't take seconds to complete that aspect of our mission! Stayed on the AJs as long as we could take it and then talked about drifting a few spots for grouper. Didn't have luck with the grouper, instead hooking sharks. Still, barely a minute with a bait in the water untouched. :thumbup: :beer:

Running back in we saw birds diving off Alligator Point and couldn't resist the temptation to hook some macks... or so we thought... turned out to be schooling bonita. :-) Caught them at will until we were losing daylight and had to head in.

Versus sharing any pics, think video can best do justice to the fun we had! After a year of few trips made in extremely challenging seas, was a much appreciated blessing to enjoy such a GORGEOUS day with a hot bite to boot! :thumbup: :beer: salute1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaieSKSDXNU[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Re: 10/18/13 Crazy Fishing Action!

Post by Rhettley »

Bloody good day mate!
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Was waiting for the report BBG.
That was a hell of a bite.
Appreciating the same blessings...
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

Great day!!! Looks like fun!!! The only thing that would have made those videos any better would have been me in them :D seriously, I am glad you had a great day!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: salute2 Semper Fi
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

great day BBG love the AJ action lol,
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Gotta say, that's about the most fun fishing I've ever had - and say what you will about Bonita, they cooked up AWESOME on my grill - but I dont mind "fishy" tasting fish.

Bleed them real good, marinate in soy/honey/ginger/wasabi and cook until medium rare, delicious.

What a great trip!

A question for the off-shore pros: is there anything one can do to get bait in a better position for the grouper that everybody swears are on the bottom of that tower? Short of taking a SCUBA tank and spear gun, I dont know if you could catch 'em!

Post by ontiltttttt »

Glad you liked the Bonita Wolfeman! I soaked mine in milk overnight, seasoned with some soy and pepper and tossed 'er on the grill. Girlfriend loved it :thumbup:

Thanks for a great day BBG! :beer: