Talk me out of buying knives on TV...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Talk me out of buying knives on TV...

Post by Atticus »

I'm sitting here in my living room sipping a beer. DirecTV has TWO channels with late night TV knife shows. I'm switching back and forth.

Anyone ever bought any of these knives? (PM to avoid embarrassment if needed).

I really can't think of a good reason not to buy some of these knives. Don't need them. But I want them. Are they all crap?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Talk me out of buying knives on TV...

Post by MudDucker »

Not me ... unless they throw in at least two sham wows! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Atticus wrote:I'm sitting here in my living room sipping a beer. DirecTV has TWO channels with late night TV knife shows. I'm switching back and forth.

Anyone ever bought any of these knives? (PM to avoid embarrassment if needed).

I really can't think of a good reason not to buy some of these knives. Don't need them. But I want them. Are they all crap?
Depends on the knife in question Luke. We need a little more info on these products before we can pick them apart to see if they meet the needs of what you intend to use them for.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

The zombie killer set... For zombies of course. :grin:

They kept switching products before I was convinced to buy. So I went to bed knifeless
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

NEVER buy knives or coins from the TV hawkers. Prices are way higher than the street prices.....

And with the knives, I am assuming all are made in China, as are quite a few counterfeit coins.

But like they say EVERY show........"This is the best bargain we have ever had!"

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

DO NOT DO IT LUKE, I BOUGHT A ELEC. GE SKINNIN KNIFE ON-LINE, IT WAS $10 LESS THAN LOCAL STORE. TOOK 8 WKS. TO GET TO ME, IT WAS MADE IN CHINA AND VERY LIGHT MATERIAL, I NEVER GOT THROUGH SKINNIN A SMALL DEER BEFORE BOTH OF THE BLADE GUIDES BROKE OFF AND THE BLADE BENT SO IT WAS USELESS. IT CAME FROM A T/V HAWKER, HE NEVER SAW THE KNIFE, HE WOULD TAKE YOUR ORDER AND THEN SEND A ORDER IN TO CHINA MFG. WHEN HE HAD 100 ORDERS AND THE KNIFE'S WERE SHIPPED FROM THE CHINA MFG. I CARRIED THIS PIECE OF CRAP DOWN TO THE LOCAL STORE AND IT HAD THE SAME MARKINGS AND NUMBERS ON IT AS THE LOCAL STORE BUT WEIGHED ABOUT 1/2 POUND LIGHTER. THE KNIFE FROM THE LOCAL STORE WAS SAME BRAND AND MADE IN CHINA BUT A LOT HEAVIER MATERIAL, I DID NOT BUY EITHER ONE, WENT TO WALLY MART AND BOUGHT A BLACK AND DECKER THAT I STILL HAVE AND IT STILL WORKS GREAT, MADE IN USA.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

The best knives are Cutco. I have a set of Henckels and like these much better. They are expensive, but come with a lifetime warranty and free sharpening if you need it. A rep will come to your house and show you the knives. They will also come back and sharpen them. We have several knives including two filet knives and they are awesome!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I'm addicted to cutlery, too, Atticus. Don't deny your need. It's all fun and games until it gets out of hand. Suggest you keep the boxes so you can regift when you upgrade.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thank you Atticus for the post and like Harmsway, I'm addicted as well.

I've found it helpful to wait a least a week before taking any action. Most of the time the fever is over by then.

Knives and knife sharpeners both do me in. Just the other day I saw a knife sharpener that uses a small motor driven belt to sharpen ANYTHING!

I just know it will work on all my knives but will wait a month before taking an action.

Hope this helps but I do know there AIN'T NO CURE!

Sometimes you just have to enjoy live and let loose and buy another one.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Where did you see the belt driven sharpener? I think we all geek out on that stuff
Team Jolly Mon
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Flint River Pirate wrote:Where did you see the belt driven sharpener? I think we all geek out on that stuff

It was on a hunting/fishing channel on TV. (getworkshop.com) but, my research on them isn't so good.

Look at this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_2
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

SS-342 wrote:
Flint River Pirate wrote:Where did you see the belt driven sharpener? I think we all geek out on that stuff

It was on a hunting/fishing channel on TV. (getworkshop.com) but, my research on them isn't so good.

Look at this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_2
Awesome!
Team Jolly Mon
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

http://www.v-sharp.com/

I have 2 of these Warthog sharpeners. I keep one in my "knife" box that I keep in my truck and I have one for my kitchen.
They are great sharpeners.