Fighting Big Fish on Light Tackle

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Here is a technique for fighting big fish on light tackle I like to call Palming the Reel

When fishing the flats I normally use 10 pound test line or less on light spinning tackle and sometimes hook some really big fish. On smaller fish you can use just the drag to play the fish and constantly adjust it throughout the fight. But, when it comes to bigger fish like cobia, big reds, sharks, jacks, etc. this is just not feasible. First of all, these bigger fish are much stronger, faster, and smarter than their smaller counterparts. They know exactly how to use the current and large size to their advantage. If you try to adjust the drag between their long runs, quick turns and bouts of hugging the bottom you are going to get caught with it too tight and SNAP! Shattered dreams.

The reverse of this is equally as bad. Fighting a fish on too light a drag setting will allow the fish to do what it wants to do and go where it wants to go. You have to be able to put pressure on a big fish to tire them out, but still be ready for a quick direction change, burst of speed or violent headshake. This is how to do it.

When you first hook up a big fish back off on the drag, a lot. On the fishs initial run, let him do just that, run. When the time is right, employ the best and fastest drag system you've got, your hand. Place the palm of your hand on the spool with the palm facing toward you. When you can start to gain line on a fish, place more pressure on the spool and pump the rod. Then, let go, drop the rod and start to reel. Continue the palm, pump and wind to get the fish close. If the fish bolts or shakes his head, all you have to do is take your hand off the spool and let him run. On cobia this is very important. They like to hug the bottom and just swim to get their strength back. You have to get them up off the bottom if you want any chance at landing them. You can do this with this technique.

But there are a couple of rules to follow when fighting any big fish on light tackle.

1. Dont get in a hurry. Sometimes you can get a big fish to the boat quickly and get excited and try and horse him in. This is where they will break you off.

2. Always keep reverse pressure on a fish. If he goes left, you pull right. If he goes right you pull left.

3. Never let a fish just swim slowly around the boat. He is just gaining all the strength back that you just spent 20 minutes wearing off of him. Keep him doing what you want, not what he wants.

4. Keep your boat mates apprised of the situation. Any fishing partner worth their weight will want to help any way they can. Let them know what the fish is doing so they can clear lines, floor space, or crank and chase.

5. Have fun! Fighting big fish on light line is one of the most fun things you can do. Sometimes nerves get frayed, but its just a fish. Remember that.

I hope these tips help you with your next big fish experience!

Post by Guest »

Tom...thanks for all the great tips I use a bit heaver line when flats fishing...The jacks were just to much for me one year I was losing some jigs and lures I was going broke.........So I went to 14lb test line and it makes a differance for sure.......I didn't even have to set the hook it was slam and gone like you say SNAP.......So I keep 2 rods on the boat now one with a lighter line but I start with the heaver line seams to catch as many fish as the 8 to 10lbs.....our water is abit dirty down here in Yankeetown than up their from what I saw staying at the Island View motel.....for the fall bash we had.....Sure would like to do some flats fishing up their for a few days....

Jere