Gun ranges?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

leonreno

Gun ranges?

Post by leonreno »

I am doing research on buying a gun for home defense and think I have settled on a pistol over a shotgun and AR. I have researched different calibers and different guns. I want to be able to shoot it we'll and also my wife to shoot it we'll. I'm tired of reading opinions online and in magazines and think the best thing to do is to shoot some different guns with my wife. Figure which one we both like the best. I've always wanted a 45. But it maybe too much for my wife, so we need to figure which works best for us. This will be our first gun purchase and later I could always add more guns such as a ccw. This will be mainly for home defense. So to get to the point, anyone know of a gun range that rents different weapons to shoot and tryout. I live in Pelham, Ga but could travel some distant if it's worth it.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Gun ranges?

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WOULD RECOMMEND THE 9 MM AUTO., .25 AUTO., THEY HAVE GOOD KNOCK DOWN POWER AND NOT TOO MUCH KICK. WE HAVE 2 OF EACH, ONE SET FOR THE CAR AND ONE BY THE NIGHT STAND NEXT TO BED. ALSO HAVE A 20 GA. PUMP SHOTGUN NEXT TO EACH EXIT DOOR, THESE SHOTGUNS ONLY HAVE A VERY SHORT BARREL AND THE #4 BUCKSHOT SKATTER A PATTERN OF ABOUT 6 FT. AT 20 FT. TARGET, REALLY LOUD WHEN YOU PUMP THE SHELL INTO THE CHAMBER. WE HAVE NEVER HAD TO USE ANY OF THESE . ABOUT 20 YRS. AGO I HAD TO PUT A LITTLE BIT OF LEAD INTO THE BUTT OF A GUY TRYING TO STEAL MY ROTO TILLER AND I GUESS THE WORD GOT OUT THAT THE OLD MAN WILL SHOOT YOU IF YOU MESS AROUND WITH HIM.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
fly n fish

Post by fly n fish »

Pa, you made me smile. Semper Fi!
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Consider taking the Talon Training group course in Tallahassee. They will give you a full day of instruction plus time at the range with different guns to see what works for you. If you are going to get one gun for both of you, I agree that a 9 mm is probably your best bet. Look at Springfield's XD or XDS or Smith and Wesson's M&P Shield.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Tallahassee Indoor Range also rents guns to try.
http://www.tallyindoorshooting.com/
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Tallahassee Indoor Range also rents guns to try.
http://www.tallyindoorshooting.com/
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Good idea renting various guns to see what works for both of you. I prefer Glocks but trying a variety is a good idea and fun :D

If you are purchasing a dedicated HOME defense gun I would strongly suggest you reconsider the shotgun over a handgun of any caliber/brand. A lot of first time gun owners seriously underestimate the skills needed to consistently shoot a handgun well in the best of circumstances much less in the middle of the night under great stress. Maybe give a couple of shotguns a try at the range as well.

Good luck and safe shooting.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

agree with Zload. It wasn't your question, but shotgun is without question a better home defense gun than a hand gun. One step further, a revolver is more reliable than any auto.

I don't discourage anyone from buying a gun they want, but understand that you're buying based upon want. I'm at CoonBottom pretty regularly and will let you shoot a couple guns if you want. I usually have a .45 Kimber. Depending on who I'm with you can also likely shoot a .40 sig, a Beretta 9mm, various Glocks with occasional other guns. We spend most of our time shooting scatter guns. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Frank did step up earlier this year and provide a free annual membership and some shirts to NFGFC when I asked him. I thought that was very kind, and I wouldn't mind seeing more BBF/NFGFC folks up there. He also has the Shoot-N-Move guys that do handgun training up there. Other than the fact they sometimes monopolize the hand gun area I don't have anything positive or negative to say about them. I looked at a class with my ex and think it was about $100 for the two of us to have a private lesson. Their instructors are mostly retired law enforcement and would probably provide you some good insight on your pending purchase

Good Luck!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

I would highly recommend you and your wife take the basic handgun course at Talon: www.talontraininggroup.com/

This is most intensive course that I have seen offered in the area. It will be an all day course with lots of hands on time. You will have the opportunity to try out multiple handguns at the conclusion of the class.

My wife took the course. She had extremely limited experience handling firearms and was not comfortable with guns. After taking the course she left feeling comfortable and confident in handling a handgun. She now conceal carries on a daily basis.

If you don't take the course you can still shoot at the Talon range and they offer rentals as well.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Thanks for all the replies, I will defiantly look into the Talon training, sounds like a great idea.

I was all set for a shotgun until I read opinions about a shotgun is a two handed gun. It's hard to switch on lights, open doors, and grab children and handle a shotgun properly. I have two small children (one an infant) and corralling them with one hand and using a shotgun with the other sounds difficult. I would like a shotgun at sometime, along with an AR and CCW. But for now the budget only allows for one gun, and I want something my wife can handle when I'm not home. Right now the 9mm seems the best choice for stopping power/recoil/cost compromise. I like the cheaper price of 9 mm ammo so we can practice more.