Paddle Captain

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Paddle Captain

Post by red_yakker »

I have a buddy who's a licensed fishing captain who's interested in doing some kayaking charters. We're having a hard time finding info on what sort of licenses are required to guide kayaks. Would his 100 ton master captain's license cover it? Seems like it should.
Someone told me that as long as the captain's not in the same boat as the clients, no sort of license is required at all. That sounds a bit suspect to me. Anyone with experience willing to lend an opinion?
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
CastTheFlats

Re: Paddle Captain

Post by CastTheFlats »

No license required. The clients need to have all there own fishing licenses and safety gear. Were does your buddy plan on guiding at?
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: Paddle Captain

Post by red_yakker »

He lives around Keaton, but has some family land on Spring Warrior Creek. I think he was thinking pretty much anywhere from Steinhatchee to Aucilla.
Another question. Is there not a captain's license he can get that would cover clients fishing out of their own kayaks, so that they would not need a license?
Thanks.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb