Best duck hunt of the season

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

micci_man

Best duck hunt of the season

Post by micci_man »

I took a short ride on the lake Friday after work to see if I could locate some ducks for the youth hunt Saturday and after only a few minutes I found what I was looking for, about 3,000 birds in two different places.... Between not being messed with for a week and the cold front mid week the birds were here and it was a sight to be seen. I was excited about taking Jaden Sat morning but she didn't want to get up early and then decided to go to a friends house that afternoon..... With the amount of birds I saw I had to find a youth to take and give it a try.

After a few calls I found a hunter, 14 year old Andrew, my buddies son that I deer hunted with so hard. He got to the house just after 3:00 and we hit the lake and the birds were right were I found them the day before. We were setup by 3:40 and the birds were already trying to get back in. It was truely a sight to be seen. If you have ever had groups of ringnecks breaking down and buzzing the top of the blind rial at 60 mph then circle around and set their wings and drop their feet coming in to your spread you are familiar with the sounds we were hearing. If you haven't the only way I can describe it is the sounds of F15 fighter jets passing by just over head. I have not been on a hunt this year with the display of birds that we we seeing, even on the STA hunt that I did earlier in the season.

After 10 minutes Andrew had his very first ringneck and 1 hr later (4:50) he had his first limit of 6 ducks but not only 6 ducks but all drakes and he did it in less than a box of shells. I was quite surprised at his shooting ability. We sat in the blind for 30 more minutes just watching the birds landing all around us. After picking up the few decoys we had out Andrew said "Mr. Tommy, that was the best hunt I have ever been on, man that was fun and thanks for taking me!!" We did a fist bump and headed to the ramp and was back home before sunset.

Don't major in the minor stuff in life
wally
Site Sponsor

Re: Best duck hunt of the season

Post by wally »

Outstanding!