Operation Racoon elimination

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Operation Racoon elimination

Post by bman »

Got it a few too many raccoons in the yard. They have been harassing the chickens and raiding the bird feeders.

One got in the garage and that put my wife over the edge. So I decided it was time to take care of the problem.

I learned trick for a friend of mine. He said bait it with honey buns and then the cat will leave the trap alone.

One down!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Operation Coon elimination

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
wally
Site Sponsor

Re: Operation Coon elimination

Post by wally »

I use cheap creamy peanut butter. Catch coons and possums. Use the same trap for dillas. No bait, put up 2 x 6 boards in a vee with trap at point. Dillas walk right in.
bman

Re: Operation Racoon elimination

Post by bman »

I'll try a trap with Pnut butter tonight... going to set another honeybun trap too!
Pnut butter with sunflowers sprinkled on top is one of my pest guys go to rat and mouse bait!

TEAM "Duck Season!"
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

I've caught 5 of them at my hunting property where I have my hog trap set. They kept on tripping the hog trap, so I decided it was time for them to go also. I've caught them with a handful of corn in the trap.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I have a friend that grew up in deep SW GA who now lives down in FL. She had a problem with them around her house and tried honey buns, oreo's, sardines, canned cat food and had no luck. She finally started catching them using the dry cat food she feeds her cats. Of course she caught every cat in the neighborhood two or three times in the process. I guess the coons had gotten so used to eating the dry cat food everyone was leaving out for their cats that they turned their nose up at the other stuff. She finally got the big momma coon last and took a video of it in the cage. Dang that was one P.O'd coon!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Bman, you get done with yours you want some more fun just come over my way. :roll:
SUNP0503.JPG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

That's a 12 pk in that trap. BBG- you have a few of cases there!!
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
bman

Post by bman »

Boogers robbed me last night.
Trap with the honey bun was empty- honey bun gone- and not tripped.

Pnut Butter trap was flipped over and pnut butter eaten.
I'm betting that was an armadillo who rooted it over.

Baiting them up again tonight and putting a few bricks on the one the diller flipped

TEAM "Duck Season!"
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WE HAVE ALWAYS USED DOG FOOD IN OUR TRAPS, GET COONS, DILLAS, POSSUM, AND SEVERAL 5-6 FT. RATTLERS, ALWAYS JUST TOSS THE TRAPPED CRITTERS AND TRAP IN THE POND FOR A FEW MINUTES AND YA DON'T HAVE TO FIGHT THEM TO GET-R-DONE AND DON'T WAKE UP THE NEIGHBORS DOING THIS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Luv2Yak

Post by Luv2Yak »

bman wrote:Boogers robbed me last night.
Trap with the honey bun was empty- honey bun gone- and not tripped.

Pnut Butter trap was flipped over and pnut butter eaten.
I'm betting that was an armadillo who rooted it over.

Baiting them up again tonight and putting a few bricks on the one the diller flipped
Bad news for you...the armadillos, opossums and racoons in your area have recently banded together to launch "Operation Human Beings Encroaching on Our Habitat Elimination."
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

has any one tryed Chittlings
smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Post by smeseroll »

Bman, I've always put a little bait under the trap so they can't rob it. This makes them try to scratch and dig on top of the trigger.

I would also recommend this as bait if cats aren't a problem.
Attachments
0002010000021_500X500.jpg
0002010000021_500X500.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Those little suckers are smart...I've had them dig underneath my traps to get at food from the bottom, flip traps completely over and pull food through, you name it. Here's what I've done and it works like a charm: take a piece of bacon/honeybun/ziplock bag filled with canned cat food and use a piece of wire or a zip-tie to suspend it from the top of the trap behind the pressure plate. They won't be able to reach their little fingers up into the trap to pull it through, they'll have to enter the trap and stand right on the plate.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Cat food in a can. Punch holes in the can and put in an old sock. Hang from top of trap always worked for me.

Be careful though. As Willie "Broadway" Joe discovered, PETA will get after you for having the audacity to interrupt the normal nocturnal activities of these creatures. :o :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!