St Marks - 2 March 2014

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St Marks - 2 March 2014

Post by Terrier »

Fished the refuge from 8:00 AM - 1:30 PM. Chilly to start but the water was warm enough for all day wading. Tried the wash bar at the boat ramp canal for an hour or so but did nothing, then took advantage of the extreme low tide and fished beyond the west end of the long bar but got nothing. I moved back to the end of long bar and fished the flats there and finally got on the board - a 23" trout that came on a tan/chart./olive clouser. That was it for the day - fished sand cove, the wash bar again but got nothing. There wasn't much bait in the water but there were a few small schools of minnows around, as well as lots of fiddler crabs.

redcodefsu

Re: St Marks - 2 March 2014

Post by redcodefsu »

Nice trout. I fished all day and didn't get a bite. Beautiful day though!
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

I was fortunate enough to make it out on the water as well. I launched out of aucilla and fished back toward st marks.
Spot number one was a large pile of rock and oysters in about 3 feet of water. After about 3 cast I quickly picked up a few hitchhikers. Not one but 2 boats move in within casting distance from me.
I decided to keep my cool and move off and head into a nearby creek. Within 30 min I had a limit of decent trout. Spot number 2 was on fire for me. At one time I caught a keeper trout on 6 consecutive casts. With a total of close to 2 dozen trout on that area I decided to go explore some new areas.
I cruised around staying close to the shoreline and saw several reds but did not have any takers. The water warmed up to 67 at the warmest point. And after cruising around watching groups of mullet and the occasional red get spooked off I was ready for some more action. So we push into another creek and quickly began to see some quality fish . My first cast in spot number 3 lands me a 20" trout. A few fish later my girlfriend persuaded me to call it a day. With the great weather and my fishing fix fulfilled I couldn't complain. Even with a late start we where back at the house before sundown.
All my fish were caught on Mirolure suspending baits. Water visibility was 3-5 feet and water temps were around 65 where the fish were caught.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

All right!
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Both great reports! Thanks!

Great trout OP! Way to stick with it!

~~Dave
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Destroyed a brand new 9' tapered tippet
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

bigphishy wrote: After about 3 cast I quickly picked up a few hitchhikers. Not one but 2 boats move in within casting distance from me.
I decided to keep my cool and move off and head into a nearby creek.
Sounds like it was their lucky day...