275+ lb barr hog

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

275+ lb barr hog

Post by Big Bend Brian »

This past Friday I wanted to take a couple of hours to work on a stand and pull cards out of my game cameras. I had a short window to do this before I had to leave Friday evening for a weekend Boy Scout backpacking trip (hiking Cumberland Island, GA). I always take a firearm and while walking to my last stand I spotted something that stood out about 75 yards away. Watching it I couldn’t see that it was moving but it still seemed out of place. Continuing to watch it I saw some movement and at first thought it was a bear only to realize it was a large hog. I was in water up to my calves so I quietly shuffled closer to close the distance. It had its back to me the whole time while it was rooting behind a large fallen palm truck so it wasn’t too hard to close the distance to 35 yards. With an obstacle in my way I was unable to get any closer. At this point I shouldered my rifle and just waited for it to turn. It took a couple of minutes but as soon as it turned towards the left and I could see its ear I touched the trigger and it just dropped.

Knowing it could only be a large boar I expected to smell that characteristic stinky boar smell. Walking up to it I couldn’t believe how large it was. It had to be between 275 – 300 lbs. With my time running out I put a rope on it and tried moving it. It barely budged and there was no way in heck I was getting it back to the truck.

Nice cutters

By now I’m realizing that I’ve overextended myself with a lot of unplanned work as I had not yet packed for my 2 day backbacking trip that I was leaving for in 3 hours . There was no way I was moving this hog and knew I had no choice but to butcher it where it lay. Had I had more time I would have liked to cape it out and take the head to a taxidermist but there wasn’t enough time. I quickly texted a couple of friends to see if anyone wanted to take this hog and then started to work. As I was positioning it I then noticed that it didn’t have any testicles and that it had been barred! No wonder why it was so big and it didn’t stink.

As I started butchering it I was impressed with the thickness of its fat and that it did not have a thick shield covering the shoulders like other boars I’ve killed. This was the fattest feral hog I’ve ever butchered.

Thick fat

Working quickly it didn’t take too long to remove both hams, front shoulders and the backstraps. Before I packed the meat out I tried moving the carcass to a more remote spot as I plan on coming back after a few months to retrieve the skull and lower jaw as it had pretty nice tusks. I struggled 20 yards before I abandoned that idea as moving just the carcass alone was difficult.

Skinned out and first shoulder removed

Port side ham & shoulder

By the time I got home my buddy was there and waiting and he took the hog home to get it made into sausage. With 35 minutes remaining I threw everything together plus the backpacks in the truck and my son & I left to go pick up some scouts.

Saturday morning
Cumberland Island National Park, Ga.

Son & I

Life is good!!
Parallel Trail Cumberland Island

Hoo Yah!

Brian
Quality Time
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: 275+ lb barr hog

Post by zload »

Glad it wasn't a boar hog I don't even like to be around them they stick so bad and I recall some nasty sausage from on years back.

He looks like he has been snacking on somebody's deer corn...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Re: 275+ lb barr hog

Post by Rangerpat »

Really good story and pictures, you got yourself some of the best eating sausage there is, congratulations!
I hope you get the skull back intact, it will make a nice trophy.
Glad you didn't miss the boat.