Anyone fish this area of Mashes Sands?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

scag

Anyone fish this area of Mashes Sands?

Post by scag »

A buddy and I decided to explore this area in the Yaks this past Saturday as the wind was blowing and we thought it might be a little more protected than some of the open water. We hit it a little before the tide reached its peak and fished for about 2.5-3 hours - 2 bites....no fish. We fished top water and fake shrimp on jig/cork. We didn't really even see any sign of fish...so this begs the question - was this maybe an off day/conditions or is there maybe a particular reason why this area wouldn't hold fish. In terms of inshore fishing/salt water, i'd classify myself as a beginner at best, so i'm really just trying to figure it all out by process of elimination.

Hiljun

Re: Anyone fish this area of Mashes Sands?

Post by Hiljun »

I have gone in on that little sand road on the bottom right of center. I see folks out their fishing a lot and the road gets lots of traffic. I have seen fish in the area but never caught one. If you follow that little cut back to the beach I have caught fish there before it closed off with sand.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

The only experience I have with that area was once when I went mullet netting years back. We were in the area of the lower right side of your circle. We did catch plenty that evening.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I've never caught a Red around the beach area, but later in the year, there will be plenty of Trout around there "best on a falling tide" :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Pm inbound......

~~Dave
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE FISHED THE AREA BETWEEN THE BEACH AND PINEY ISLAND TO THE N.E. OF THE BEACH. CAUGHT A BUNCH OF LADY FISH, AND JACKS. HOOKED A BIG JACK AND A BULL SHARK KNOCKED THE JACK OFF MY PLUG AND BOY DID THOSE SHARKS HAVE A BALL, I WOULD SAY MAYBE 6-7 FAUGHT OVER THAT JACK FOR ABOUT 3-4 MINUTES , THEN ALL WAS QUITE AGAIN. CAUGHT SOME NICE TROUT OVER AROUND PINEY ISLAND AND IN THE PANACEA CHANNEL IN THE WINTER WHEN WE HAD VERY LITTLE RAIN. AFTER ALL THE RAIN WE HAVE HAD OVER THE PAST 6-7 DAYS I WOULD NOT WASTE MY TIME DOWN ON THE FLATS, THE FISH PROBABLY HAVE GONE BACK OUT TO DEEPER WATER, MIGHT FIND SOME FISH IN 12-14 FT. OF WATER IF THE TEMP. IS ABOVE 60 DEGREES. HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU OUT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO