Gobbler down

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

micci_man

Gobbler down

Post by micci_man »

It's a long read but it was a good hunt so I figured I'd give the details.

I hunted Saturday and Sunday mornings hearing over a 100 gobbles Saturday morning between 6 gobblers and 15 or 20 Sunday morning between 2 or 3 birds. Never did see a bird either day. Problem is both mornings the birds were on 100ac piece of property I can't hunt in the middle of 500 that I can hunt. Nothing I did would bring them to me or even onto the property I hunt. I left at 11:30 Saturday and had to leave at 9:00 Sunday and when I got to my truck 2 gobblers sounded off less than 100 yds. I really wanted to stay but I had to go. I usually don't hunt mid day or evenings but I went Monday from 2-5 after all the rain and didn't hear a peep or see a bird.

Heard the first gobble yesterday morning at 7:25, couldn’t tell where it was but it was a ways off. The wind was kind of high and the woods were alive with all kinds of birds sounding off. I faintly hear it again and still wasn’t sure where it was. After the fourth gobble and 30 min later from the first I finally got the direction. Again it was deep on the 100ac. After some calling and 30-40 minutes and only hearing what I thought to be some yelping and maybe a gobble or two I moved towards them and closer to the property line so I could hear better. I decide I’m going to raise a ruckus and run them to the next county or get their attention. I got on it hard with the box and mouth calls, it sounded like a heck of a fight. I was standing at this time and decided I better sit in case something comes in silent and catches me off guard.

A few minutes after sitting I realized I couldn’t see more than 25 yds in front of me. I was thinking about moving when I see the head and feet of a turkey run by about 30 yds, then another. A few minutes later I heard a gobble to my left at 11:00 pretty dang close. My fight calling worked and they closed a lot of ground in a short time from where they originally were. Great, I can’t see and I’m worried about missing a shot chance, they will have to come in close for me to even see them and hope my gun is pointed in the right direction. All of a sudden to my left about 10:00 I see a gobbler standing about 50 yds in the only opening I can see any distance and he steps to my left and out of sight. I scan ahead and can’t see him and look back and there is another one in the same spot. He moves on too and it looks like they are going to circle me and get behind me but I’m not sure. A little time goes by and I’m wondering where they are and one gobbles a good ways directly to my left at 9:00 and then to my right at 2:00 I hear 2 or 3 gobblers sound off. I didn’t expect that and decided I needed to make a move quick so I could see a little more in case they take the same route as the first two.

I moved 30 yds towards the two to the left and sat down where I could see better towards to the gobbles out in front. I gave a few purrs and clucks and not 3 minutes later I see a red, white and blue head at 50 yds and to my right walking my way. I shoot right handed so I switch shoulders with the stock of the gun to shoot off handed and pick out a lane at 35 yds and when he enters it he stops, gobbles and I shoot. The bird disappears and I see a blip of a bird run away, “Great, I missed” was my first thought so I get up and run in the direction where he was and half way there I see him flopping. I get 10 yds from the bird and 10 yds on the other side of him a big bird runs up and we have a Mexican standoff. I pointed my gun and said “bang, I’ll call you in another day” and he finally turned and walked off. For a minute I wasn’t sure if he was going to attack my bird or me LOL. I wasn’t really sure what kind of beard the one I killed had when I shot but he had an 8” beard and ¾” spurs and a full soaking wet fan. Gobbler down at 9:15.

Now I know why the birds have been staying and roosting on the 100ac this season. This birds craw was full of these……Turkey gold but not in my favor...

Don't major in the minor stuff in life
micci_man

Re: Boggler down

Post by micci_man »

LOL the title should be Gobbler, not Bobbler....
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Congrats. Turkey hunting can be so easy & it can be so hard. It's never the same twice. Thx for the report.
bman

Post by bman »

micci_man wrote:LOL the title should be Gobbler, not Bobbler....

Fixed it ;-)

And Nice Bird
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Gobbler down

Post by SS-342 »

That was an exciting, interesting report! Thanks

That looks like chuffers? We planted them when I was a boy for hog to root up and eat or it could be nut grass. Don't know if turkeys will scratch up nut grass or not.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

:beer: :beer: :thumbup:
Last edited by Slough on March 20th, 2014, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Nice bird. When you make the right decision, it feels so good.

I made the right decision this morning and moved on a bird that was roosted 75 yards from me, but headed straight away. I knew where he was headed and set off in pursuit. I was debating crossing the feeder creek when he sounded off on the other side of the ridge. I crossed and set up and purred and clucked and he answered right away. He was about 100 yards away. Next gobble, 80 yards. Next gobble less than 75. I have my gun up and I hear obvious turkey sounds moving fast on my left, but could not turn my head as they were very close. They pass on the back side of a little rise and head straight to Mr Tom. About the time they reached him, he never said another word. Game over. I think he knew about where those hens were roosted and gobbled his head off until they joined him. Once he had his harem, no reason to look for that extra hen. All on public land too and I can't hunt again until Saturday and I know one other hunter knows he is there. Hope he makes it to Saturday.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?