For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

micci_man

Post by micci_man »

I killed this bird Friday morning.

I got to the same place I killed the bird on Tuesday at 7am for a starting point to listen and it didn’t take long before I heard the first gobble followed by at least 2 other birds. Same story, they are on the property with the chufa and roosted in the same place as Tuesday. After flydown they continued to gobble at every noise until 8:45. At this time it sounded like they were heading off the 100 ac and toward the property I’m on but 5-600 yds from where I was and going away. I made the 20 minute walk around to that side and listened but I never heard them again. I called a couple of times and hung out for 30 min wondering where they were and why they got quiet. No way they saw me.

I decided to go back to where I was because it is a bigger block of pines and give it an hour and then head home. I can’t stand “deer hunting” turkeys, I like action or at least hearing them every now and then. I got settled in back at the first spot at 10 and made a few yelps and started deer hunting turkeys….. only a few minutes went by and I was tired of that already. I decided to try what worked last Tuesday and pulled out the ole box and the Tom Teaser Butt Naked Hen mouth call and eased my way into a good ole all out fight. 15 min went by (yes, I look at my watch too much while turkey hunting) and I was in a daze from watching sheets of pine pollen blow by when I noticed movement straight out about 45 yds, Turkey!!!!

I only caught a small glance at what looked like a turkey neck going left to right. Next thing I see is pieces of the bird walking back to the left and that’s when I saw the bars on his wing, I got my gun up and sitting on ready and purred and clucked and that’s when he turned directly to me and the first time I could see his whole body and I saw his beard swing, game on!!!! He’s walking with his head straight out looking side to side and when I thought he was at 25-30 I yelped soft, his head went up as he stopped and I shot, he dropped.. it was 10:20.

Once again the fight worked to my advantage or at least I feel it did. This bird came from the opposite direction as the group of three that gobbled away from me and he didn’t have any other bird with him that I saw. I think this bird was out on his own and never said a peep all morning and not with the gobbling birds. He was a strutter though. Both of his wing tips were worn flat more than any other that I have seen. He apparently was a fighter too because he had what looked like a spur punctures in his left breast that was infected and green.

6 hunts in and the first time in my turkey career I have tagged out in the first week of the season. I guess it’s better to be lucky than good. 10” beard and 1” spurs. Maybe the girls will get up one morning and go because I don’t think the birds are really fired up yet and there is more hunting to do.

my view.

Don't major in the minor stuff in life
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: #2

Post by tallykenj »

Nice. I haven't taken my first one yet but I'm on their trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :beer: :lick:
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

NIce. My usual spots aren't producing this year and my honey hole has been compromised by the next door neighbors. Still trying but no luck so far.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

very nice!

I completely understand what you're saying about deer hunting turkeys. My last two trips birds have been very vocal from the roost only to drop down and disappear; never to be heard again. While I don't like it, I'm starting to think I might do better just sitting.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.