They're Here!! St. Marks 4/2/14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jslorenz3

They're Here!! St. Marks 4/2/14

Post by jslorenz3 »

Went out of the lighthouse today. I was expecting horrible water clarity, but much to my surprise, the water was really clear. I noticed clean water all the way from about Horn's Creek as far east as I went, about Palm Island. Even out as far as the NWR Boundaries, the water seemed to be really really clear. I saw another post from today that said the water was dirty, but I only saw clear water all day.

Started drifting for trout out in front of Palm Island in about four feet of water. Started throwing a Mirrolure top pup, with no luck. Switched over to rootbeer and chartreuse jig and immediately started picking up trout.

Then it happened: The moment a lot of you on this board have been waiting for: A ray went underneath the bow of my jon. I looked down and was astonished to see a COBIA swimming right on top of it. This was literally underneath my feet in four feet of water. I dropped my jig straight down and it turned, but didn't take the jig. A few more pitches and the same results. The ray got about 15 yards from me, and I know my chance was slipping away. I could still see the ray and cobia well, but with no trolling motor, I knew the window was closing. I placed one more perfect cast right out in front of the ray, let it sink, twitched it, and WHACK!! followed by "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" the drag starts screaming! I fight the fish for about 15 minutes and finally get him close to the boat. I was worried that he may still be green, but I wasn't gonna lose him at the boat, so in a swift moment I put him in the net with one hand while the other was still on the rod. The cobia starts thrashing, so I drop my rod in the boat and fight the net with two hands over the side. I sat back, heart pounding, still not believing that my first cobia was laying at my feet. I saw another boat near me and knew I needed a proper picture, as I was alone and wouldn't be able to get a good photo. They were willing to help and happy for me! We measured the cobia at 30".

Once I regained composure, I got back to my original gameplan and hit the creeks behind Palm Island in search of reds. I found two reds that I sight casted to and were willing to play. Two reds in two casts! They were both barely keepers, but I released them.
Here's one:

I'm thinking, "Wow, this has to be some type of inshore slam: trout, cobia, and redfish". I'll go ahead and say it was, even if I just made it up.

Saw some Spanish follow me in, but none caught. All fish were released healthy. It was a "career day" for me since I've been at FSU.
Made it back to the ramp and loaded the ole jon up.

And here's the bait of choice that all fish were caught on;

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!! Great day at St. Marks!
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
kikstand454

Re: They're Here!! St. Marks 4/2/14

Post by kikstand454 »

Congrats man! Exciting news/report!

~~Dave
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

Awesome report. If only that cobe was 3 inches bigger!

Also, a trout/cobia/redfish IS a slam according to FWC (http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recr ... -seatrout/). Scroll to the bottom; it's considered a "North Florida Grand Slam." Congrats!
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

Wow ontilt thanks for the heads up! That's awesome to know its official! I cant help but think that one of the regions should be red, trout, and snook.
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

The "slams" vary from website-to-website. Last year while wade fishing around Bald Point I got my first (all keeper) inshore slam according to Calcutta (redfish/trout/flounder) and I was pretty stoked as well.

It's quite the accomplishment and something to be proud of! Hope you get a keeper cobe next time, they sure do grill up nicely! :lick:
2true

Post by 2true »

Good report!
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Great report and trip. Congrats.
The Back Porch
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Yesterday was a good day according to all the reports I heard. Congratulations on your good trip! That was a good, well written, and exciting report! Makes me want to go FISHING!

Thanks!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

congrats on your slam!! Especially on your "first cobia!! I have caught a few small ones(UNDER 20") AND SEEN SOME LARGE ONES ,but have yet to hook or fight a big one. congrats again!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Congrats on a great day and your noteworthy catches.

As already noted, you did indeed catch a North Florida Slam and can receive a certificate to mark the achievement. The program is administered by the Florida FWC and International Game Fish Association. The fish don't have to be killed to qualify, in case you catch an over- or undersized eligible species.

Here is the link:

http://www.myfwc.com/media/2577618/Slam ... n-2013.pdf
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow and congrats on the first cobia!! Great report and I'm jealous as hell, sat here at work yesterday looking at how nice it was outside saying how I wish I was out on the water:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Awesome report. Congrats on the slam. Just 3" shy of being a keeper. Did you measure the cobia to the fork?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven