Stakes at St. Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jka_gator

Stakes at St. Marks

Post by jka_gator »

I'm new to salt-water fishing so bear with me if I sound like an idiot...

I see a lot of people fishing around the stakes at St. Marks. What are the stakes and what attracts fish to that area? From my experience it looks like it's about 10' - 12' deep at least around the first stake.

But then I read these message boards, and it sounds like most of you are usually fishing the 3' - 6' range. From my very brief experience, it seems you can catch more trout in shallower water, but they're generally smaller, and less trout around the stake but they're generally bigger.

Am I way off base with this? What's the advantage of one or the other, or is it just a hit-and-miss thing either way?

-J
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Ya got it backa**ards, you catch fewer but larger Trout in the shallows and lots of small Trout "with a keeper here and there" in the deeper water. Of course this changes as the water heats and cools :) , the above applies only to right now :D As you fish more you will start to get the feel of when the bigger fish are moving into the deeper water. Reading about it is good, but it takes a lot of time on the water to really learn it. While I am mainly fishing shallow right now, I still make incursions into the deeper water every time I go out. This helps keep me in-tune with how the fish are moving! I am far from the best out there, but my goal is to try and be the best one day :D Look out Futch, I may catch you in another ten years or so :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”