Tarpon Fishing out of Apalachicola

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

floridagatorsuf1

Tarpon Fishing out of Apalachicola

Post by floridagatorsuf1 »

I was hoping some of you all would be able to help me with advice on West Pass tarpon fishing. Ive never fished for tarpon before. What type of rig and bait should I use? What pound test should I use? We have large 30 lb test spinning rods, are these good enough for the tarpon around here? Where is the best boat ramp to go out of and is there any one place in the pass that is the best. Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D
All tarpon will be released and I will post our results for you to use! Thanks
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

I had hoped that you would get a better response, I don't know jack about tarpon, but.... I was at a family reunion at St. Geo this past 3 days and brought the boat. We were in the last house on the left before the state park.

Look at the map there is several small oysterbars islands close by that bay, on bird island the farthest out and you can see the birds. My deepth gauge showed about 12 feet just 20 feet from the shore side of the roost. Looked like a deep nice channel for fish. We were using live shrimp and almost dead pin fish. Over about 40 minutes, about 4:30 on Tuesday we caught up with 4 tarpon,on the pin fish, even on a artifical pin fish. WOW. we faught each for 10 to 15 minutes before loosing them when they took to the air. What a rush...

Hope someone who knows what they are doing responses,

Good luck
:P
floridagatorsuf1

Post by floridagatorsuf1 »

Thanks rx, we didnt go out on friday cause of the bad weather. We may try it out on monday. Ive heard of that bird island before too. There was a article on bird island in the florida sportsman about 2 months ago. Thanks again.