Gear recommendations

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

timmy0257

Gear recommendations

Post by timmy0257 »

Looking to get some new gear, as I left the fishing scene for some time but and going to pick it up again.

I have been looking at alot of reels/rods and really dont know what i am looking at.

At this point, i know I at least am comfortable with a spinning reel. I have never really gotten the hand of a baitcaster. Although i am confident i could, i dont want to ruin my first few trips out untangling a rat's nest.

I do not know, however, the best options for rod length. I would like something for light tackle and then something for a little bigger stuff. so two options would be nice. I am not really concerned with prices, because once i understand length/action etc i will be able to find what i want.

from there, maybe 5-8 "go to" lures to use. Most of my fishing will be at the mouth of the St Marks and Dog island reef. sometimes going out a bit further. All of your input is welcome.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Gear recommendations

Post by silverking »

For inshore light tackle, I'd recommend a 7-foot or 7'6" medium light rod rated for 8-17 pound test line. The longer rod will allow longer casts with light lures and baits. The 7-footer will work also, especially if you are dealing with storage issues. For reels a 3000-class reel will handle most everything you are likely to encounter on the flats, including reds, trout, pompano, flounder, Spanish, etc. A Shimano 2500-class reel is basically the same as the 3000, only with slightly less line capacity on the spool. A Shimano Saros 2500 reel with a Shimano Teramar TMS76ML rod is a great and durable combo for our local waters. On sale you can pick one up for about $250. The Teramar rods are backed by a lifetime warranty, by the way, and are a nearly indestructible graphite/composite blank that's very sensitive. My client reels were spooled with 10-pound test PowerPro, although I personally will scale down to as light as 3-pound test for the ultimate challenge. There's a lot of great tackle out there now, but I've fished Shimano for many years now with little trouble.

For bigger game such as cobia, sharks, bull reds, etc. simply step up to a medium-heavy rod (15-30 line rating) and match it with either a 4000 or 5000-class reel. Depending on what you're after, spool it with 20- or 30-pound line. Braid will be smaller diameter to pack on more capacity, but monofilament still has plenty of applications.

During my 15-year stint as a light-tackle guide, my go-to lures would always include:

A selection of DOA standard 1/4-ounce shrimp (gold/glow, holographic glitter and root beer or watermelon to cover the color spectrum). Fish them slowwwwwwlllly plain or under a clacker-style cork

Sureketch shrimp tails with 1/8-ounce jig heads

Aqua Dream or Capt. Mike's willow-blade weedless spoons. Pink or gold for stained water, silver and chartreuse for clear. 3/8-ounce in the summer and scale down to the 1/4-ounce in the winter

5.5 DOA CAL jerk baits (new penny, Arkansas glow and glow are my favorites).

A selection of topwater and suspending hard baits, including Rapala Skitterwalks and Twitchin' Raps, saltwater Chug Bugs and Heddon Super Spooks.

Kastmaster 3/8-ounce silver casting spoons rigged on a trace of wire and a barrel swivel for Spanish mackerel.

For cobia, an 1/2- or 3/4-ounce Al Gag's Whip-it Eel was always rigged. Olive/pearl for natural, candy-apple red or lime green in stained or muddy water

Others will chime in with their personal favorites I'm sure, but this is what worked well for me. Clients could cast all day without tiring and it kept things sporting.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Dog gonit Silver King, my whole tackle bucket does not have any of those lures!! At least, not names I that I recognize.

I need to rethink my gear.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

SK's post would be a good sticky note :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've retired as a guide, but I'm still available as a consultant! :lol:
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

: )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

Wow this is invaluable info, thanks.

So to "tie" all this together, how do you recommend i rig a line to use the lures you suggested? I have read to use a 30# leader of fluorocarbon line. If this is advisable, how long should i make it?

I am not the best in tying knots and would hate to lose those nice lures that were recommended. is it ok, or are there many disadvantages in, using a coast lock or interlock clip at the end of my leader to snap on a lure, jig or hook?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I always keep things as simple and natural as possible. So I've never used snap locks for connection.

For light tackle, 20- to 25-pound leader is fine. You don't want it too long to be unwieldy yet not too short so you have to constantly re-tie when changing baits. A couple feet is about right. I use fluorocarbon (Seaquar Blue Label or Ande) and connect the running line to the leader with a double uni jam knot with braid. A blood knot will work on mono, but you do have a couple exposed tag ends that will invariably catch floating grass or other debris. With the double uni I tie four wraps with the leader and seven with the braid and slowly tighten until it "pops" when it snugs together. Note: Some prefer using mono leader with topwater plugs to keep the nose of the bait up, but I haven't really noticed much difference and have caught many, many fish on top using fluoro.

Same process with heavier leader (50- to 80-pound test, depending on the targeted species). With the heavier stuff, you won't be able to do as many wraps on the double uni, though, because of the stiffer line.

If the lure has a split ring through the eye, I'll tie direct to that using an improved clinch knot. Otherwise, I prefer a loop knot for all connections to impart the most action on the lures. My favorite is the non-slip mono loop knot.

Only way to get better with your tying skills is by practice. There's a good animated reference on-line (Illustrated Knots by Grog--google it and it should pop up). The laminated cards by Tightlines Publications have good illustrations too. But the best all-around guide is Baits, Rigs and Tackle by the late, great Vic Dunaway. You can find it at bookstores, some tackle shops or order through Florida Sportsman.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

All great info from sk as usual. I use the exact combo of knots. Check the for sale section, Atticus has a nice terrimar for $75.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

SilverKing,

can you bait my hook for me too?

Thank you so much for the info, again.

I thought about my earlier posts and how i am not very skilled with a bait casting reel. Acknowledging that i will only get better with practice, would you also recommend Shimano bait caster paired with a teramar rod again? i am considering the combo mentioned above in a 3000 class reel and teramar rod for my smaller catches, but maybe a bait caster style for the larger, such as the cobia, sharks, etc as mentioned above.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

For starters you might want to stick with heavier spinning gear and eventually work up to a conventional combo.

Spin suggestions:
Shimano Saragosa SW 5000 or Stradic FJ 5000 reels (with 22 and 20 pounds of max drag, respectively) matched to a Medium Heavy Teramar rod. Faster tip action is determined by the types of baits/lures used. For heavier baits, a medium action gives more so you won't fling the bait off when casting. If you want distance with lighter lures, the faster tip is better.

For baitcaster/conventional:

I just sold this combo on here, which is good for heavier duty:
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =7&t=35867

Another choice would be the Torium 20 matched to a conventional casting rod. You'll probably want to stay with a 7-foot max length.

And as SG pointed out, Atticus is offering a great deal on a Teramar if it's still available for the light stuff.

Go to a real tackle shop like Kevin's or South Georgia Outdoors where knowledgeable staff can make suggestions based on your budget/application. Mount the reel to the rod under consideration to get a feel for weight and balance before you buy. Spool with quality line. And then go fishing.

Now you're on your own. Glad to help out. If you want more you can sign up for the Flats Pro Seminars next February to get the whole shebang. :wink:
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

i sincerely appreciate the tips you have imparted on me. I've reach out to Atticus via email and hopefully it is still available when i return to the states. we are local to one another.

the one area which i feel confident enough to return the favor and share some tips with regarding to fishing, is how to cook the fish afterward - most always my favorite part.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

If you have access to a baitcaster and want to trully learn to cast it...... try this.

Spool it with some good cheap 20lb mono. Heavier line "behaves" better. Put on a 1/2oz weight and set the spool tension knob so that the lure gently falls when you shake the rod. If youre reel has additional brakes (magnetic or centrifugal) set them right in the middle. ("5" on magnetic... three on three off for centrifugal).

Now....pace out about 40ft of line in your yard and then place a piece of tape across your spool. This will keep the backlashes from developing deeper in your spool and making you want to throw the whole thing in the fire. :P8-)
Practice casting now with soft overhand throws. The difference in baitcasting and spinning is the release point. This is what you want to focus on first. Secondly, you want to work on stopping the spool with your thumb just before your lure lands. The best exercise for this is underhand pitching to a target. A paper plate is perfect. Do this until you feel proficient!

I gave up spinning tackle years and years ago and only use a spinning reel now for a popping cork rig- which I rarely use. Granted.....I consider myself a "bass fisherman" first over inshore......

Also.....when learning ( and even after "mastering") baitcasting- learning this technique makes life SOOOOO much better ! Lol.

HOW TO GET BACKLASH OUT OF BAITCASTER REELS (BES…: http://youtu.be/z5pkbjYEqKg

~~Dave
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

Thanks Dave.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

No prob! Hope it helps....

~~Dave