Pompano ??

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

luceror
Site Sponsor

Pompano ??

Post by luceror »

Some friends of mine have been landlocked all spring due to boat problems. I am usually in my Yak. Anyway they want to try for saome Pompano this wenesday some where around St George Island. None of us has ever targeted this fish. Any inpuy as far as when ,where and how would be would be helpful and much much appreciated!! Thanks
lmmoore

Re: Pompano ??

Post by lmmoore »

I'm not an expert pomp man but I know this is a great month for them. If you are fishing from the beach i would go to the state park and fish on the gulf side. I use the pompano rigs you buy at the tackle stores with about 15 # line on my spinning reel. Use a tripod lead and throw out as far as you can chunk it. Us live shrimp or sand fleas for bait with a pink fish bite strip on the hook. The more rods you have out the more you will catch. :lick: My favorite fish to grill head and all!
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

By the way what king of yak do you have?
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I've seen some caught, the west end of DI at the point near the bell buoy.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

MarkM wrote:I've seen some caught, the west end of DI at the point near the bell buoy.
X2 The morning tide change is the best time to fish for them. They love the current. I have not been back out since last Sunday trying for them but Fri, Sat and Sun of last week they were there and should still be there at the right tides. Sand Fleas work best on a jig head or a two hook set up. Good luck.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Ok people, thanks for the input---good stuff!
Immore, I have a 12' Cobra-tandem. Sit on top. IT wasnt rigged for fishing when I picked it up -used. But I have it rigged up where I can carry my poles ,a cooler for fish/lunch and my tackle bag and a trolling motor. I fish mostly out of bottoms rd. and/or mashes sands.

Thanks again for info on the Pompano--we are definately going to St George Is. and I will post results..Regardless!
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

You want to cast in the four foot area between the first and second bars on a low or falling tide. You will likely catch a trout or two fishing there, sometimes a red but that is certainly where the pompano seem to be. High tide is a tougher call, the front of the first bar on a good one is best unless the waves are crashing. And if you stay on the front of the first bar you will catch some whiting. My wife lived down there for three years so I was sent out to catch breakfast, lunch or dinner many times and learned a lot. By the way, my experience is that pieces of fresh shrimp vs. sand fleas made no difference except for how much it cost me. Frozen shrimp do not work, they get destroyed the minute you cast.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

I need to try fishing for pompano. I've often thought about it but haven't done it. How long are they in our area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

thanks again ,good info!
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I'm not sure but, you could probably drag your kayaks up on the beach and wade for them. They're not far out.
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

I pulled two out this evening on the falling tide. I used sand fleas just east of the second bath house in the park at SGI.