Friday Pork Chops

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Friday Pork Chops

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Was hoping to leave Ponte Vedra this Friday afternoon for Cedar Key to fish this weekend but the weather looks marginal on the west coast so …….

Plan B:
Instead, after my 15 yr old son got home from High School, we loaded up to hopefully play with some piggies. It’s been raining all day but the radar looked like there would be a break for a few hours so hit the road but we packed a “tree umbrella” with us in case it did open up.

We sat for almost 3 hours in light rain when four piggies came out of the palmettos. By then we couldn’t really see them well enough for a good shot so Casey turned on the hog light. The green light didn’t even phase em. While Casey was turning on the lighted red reticle on the red dot I asked him not to shoot the largest one as I was pretty certain it was a boar hog.

One shot and the second largest hog dropped and the three others tore out of there.

Can’t beat starting off the weekend with some fresh pork chops.

Nice sow
DPMS 5.56

It’s been a WET WET spring

Skinning OJT

Brian
Quality Time
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Friday Pork Chops

Post by SS-342 »

Couldn't have been any better unless you had been fishing!

Nice Job!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

I thought I’d add this recipe as I used one of the hams from this sow:

Pig Candy from He l l

Using one of the fresh hams from a 60-65 lb sow my son took 1.5 weeks ago I rubbed it with McCormick Grill Mates Pork Rub then let sit in the fridge for 24 hours.

For a bottom layer I did a bacon weave using thick sliced bacon. On top of the bacon I sprinkled brown sugar and rubbed it in. Then I set the ham on top.

Rubbed ham

First bacon weave

A lil’ brown sugar

Ham

Making a second bacon weave I placed that on top of the ham then poured molasses on the bacon and brushed it in.

Top bacon weave

Brushed on molasses

From there I sprinkled more brown sugar and rubbed that in too. I’m already salivating…..

Ready for the smoker

With a Green Egg at 250 ˚F and with soaked Mesquite wood chips it only took 2 hours to bring the ham to 160 ˚F where I pulled it off.

Smoking on the Green Egg

2 hours later at 160 ˚F

Pork lovers

I didn’t get to taste this yet as I went hog hunting last night and missed dinner. My family told me in the morning thought that it was really tasty and moist.

Ended up with more pork chops last night for future playing with:

70-75 lb sow

Brian
Quality Time
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

starving!