Wow a 9 day snapper season :-(

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Wow a 9 day snapper season :-(

Post by zload »

SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
(Gulf of Mexico)

FB14-034
Cynthia Meyer
727-824-5305

May 14, 2014

NOAA Fisheries Announces the Revised 2014 Red Snapper Recreational Season in the Gulf of Mexico

The 2014 Gulf of Mexico red snapper recreational season in federal waters is 9 days, opening at 12:01 a.m., June 1, 2014, and closing at 12:01 a.m., on June 10, 2014. The red snapper bag limit is 2 fish with a 16-inch minimum total length size limit.

At its April 2014 meeting, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council requested an emergency rule to revise the recreational accountability measures for red snapper by applying a 20-percent buffer to the recreational quota, which results in a recreational annual catch target of 4.312 million pounds whole weight. This emergency rule will not affect the commercial harvest of red snapper in the reef fish fishery.

The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council's decision to request an emergency rule was made following the decision of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in Guindon v. Pritzker, (Mar. 26, 2014). After recalculating the season length based on the annual catch target and including the 2013 Marine Recreational Information Program data, NOAA Fisheries is setting a 9-day red snapper fishing season.

The purpose of this rulemaking is to better ensure red snapper recreational landings do not exceed the recreational quota established in the rebuilding plan, in accordance with the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act and the Court's ruling.
The method for calculating the dates for the federal season for each state are available in the Environmental Assessment in Appendix B. Electronic copies of the documents are available.
• Final Rule and Environmental Assessment: Federal eRulemaking Portal search "NOAA-NMFS-2014-0055" http://www.regulations.gov and NOAA Fisheries http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/.
This summary is not a substitute for the actual regulations. We encourage you to read the full text of the regulations, available at
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Wow a 9 day snapper season :-(

Post by DEMON »

NOAA. What a joke.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

And I was griping about an eleven day season
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

The State one is still May 24 to July 14 right?
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

RayMalloy wrote:The State one is still May 24 to July 14 right?

http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/ ... d-snapper/

Yep
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Add in a few windy or stormy days and there might realistically only be 2 or 3 fishable days. Why even bother? Friggin government!!! :smt011

Edit- Just heard from a reliable source it's likely to be reduced to 7 days before the season gets here.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

That's what they want. No fishing. No fish keeping.
Ybnormal

Post by Ybnormal »

Lets See!
4.312 million pounds Divided by 7 lbs ( that's what say is the average weight for a red snapper)=616000 fish

616000 divided by 9 days= 68444 fish per day ( if every day was fish-able)

68444 divided by 2 fish limit. Means it will take 34222 anglers catching 2 fish per day for 9 whole days to reach their limit.

Does anybody here think there will be 34222 recreational (Gulf!) anglers catching 2 fish per day for the whole 9 day season, or even anywhere close to that? :smt011

Ybnormal
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

RayMalloy wrote:The State one is still May 24 to July 14 right?
With a 9 day season, those state water spots west of us are going to be packed. Be careful in your yak
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Again Commercial fisherman will not be affected! :hammer:
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Hmmmm...That means if I go fishing for enjoyment, that I have to throw back the majority of the fish I catch. Then if I want a fish dinner I can buy all the Snapper I want from the local seafood market. I won't know when it was caught. How fresh it is. What method was used to harvest the fish(hook and line or nets or long line). What is the by-catch impact from the commercial fisher etc. etc...
It kinda makes me wonder.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I don't know what the hubub is all about. We get one whole Saturday and two whole Sundays to harvest snapper.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Succession from the union is the only choice they leave us. I finally just about quit going offshore several years ago. Quotos/weather/cost all add up to it not making sense. If the government is involved you can bet it will not make sense.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

So sad..... and it only encourages the poachers.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Welcome to the new collective comrades. Y'all can think those who elected Obummer for emboldening the idiots who run these federal agencies. Search the old threads, there were warnings that this was on the whitehouse agenda. :smt011

Oh and send your protest to Obummer via hashtag diplomacy. I am sure it will scare the crap out of him like he did Putin! :smt011
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!