Lanark Scallops: Nothing

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Lanark Scallops: Nothing

Post by Aucilla »

Went with FSU Academic Diving Program to do a scallop survey in the Lanark grass Saturday. It was the day after the season closed, I think. It was a chance to "get wet" and learn something with friends.

We laid out 6 different 100 meter transects and then two divers ran the length of the transect, in SCUBA gear, and counted all scallops within 1 meter of the line. Thus we did 200 square meter rectangles.

Consistent with all the Lanark reports, I can tell you we found virtually NONE.

The visability was less than two feet, but we were doing close work. The water temperature was comfortable in just a dive skin.

The ONLY scallops found, though, were found by sense of touch only, and that was because they were buried and they looked like it too, very stained and dark. So we looked at 1200 meters and found 10 scallops and they couldn't be seen but only felt on the bottom.

Eureka! We proved it. :-D No scallops in Lanark! :sleep:
Last edited by Aucilla on September 13th, 2004, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Aucilla, that's a tough way to prove something. :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?