July 12th Fishing/Scalloping @ Keaton Beach

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

July 12th Fishing/Scalloping @ Keaton Beach

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Got to Keaton at the break of day, and was not liking what we saw. Lightning, dark clouds and thunder. Went down to the marina to check the radar. It looked to be staying 20 miles offshore so we headed out to fish. Image. We decided to stay close in case the rain came in on us. The fish did not cooperate and some rather ominous clouds were moving in. Image. Image. The clouds passed over us and it rained for 30 minutes. Image. After that around 9:30 we decided to get in the water. It cleared up some and got to be slick calm. Image. Image. The scallops were not thick but there. We only moved once a couple hundred yards. Wound up getting our limit and shucking them on the boat. Image. Another great day on the water with my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Hit-n-Miss on July 12th, 2014, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpac
Site Sponsor

Re: July 12th Fishing/Scalloping @ Keaton Beach

Post by bpac »

Nice work!
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Always a good report ---- thanks Hit and Miss !!!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks for the report.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:o First thing I thought we were going to have to go home. But we waited it out close to the channel, and it blew over. :-D
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I have noticed while fishing out of Ecofina, a lot of bad looking storms build up to the West then seem to move South and disappear??
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Nice report. Dittos on getting there early..... and sometimes too early. I've seen a NE breeze mess up the offshore plans of many early birds......... in Feb & Mar..... Nov, too. Many times slept in till 8, launched around 10, while much larger boats were hauling out. They would report, "Way to rough, 4-5 ft, 15 miles off". We would slip out 18 miles around noon. It was a following sea and becoming more glassy with each passing hour. We would fill the box with some nice gags around 26 miles and head back on calm seas late in the evening.
Teachers Pet

Post by Teachers Pet »

Great report, I will be there Tuesday thru Thursday with my baby boy(21) who has a few days off and really wants to go scalloping. The trout were very cooperative on Saturday after the rain but we never tried the scallops. I plan to go back south to Big Grassy to scallop on low tide and fish north in the afternoon on the falling tides.