Bobcat question

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Bobcat question

Post by red_yakker »

A couple weeks ago, I went out to check on my laying hens and found 3 of them had been dragged out of the coup and killed. I assumed it was a raccoon or opossum. Whatever it was actually tore a hole in the chicken wire. I re-covered the coup in some of the plastic coated chicken wire, hoping it would be strong enough to keep whatever it was from re-entering.
Yesterday, about 10 minutes before dark, I heard the chickens making a ruckus. I looked out the window to find a bobcat trying to figure out how to get in the coup. By the time I got outside with my rifle, he was gone. About 30 minutes later, I shined a light out in the yard and saw him sitting in the edge of the bushes. Between the mosquitoes driving me crazy, and my scope fogging up from the humidity, I wasn't able to get a shot before he disappeared again.
A while back, I was on the tractor in the edge of the hay field and witnessed a bobcat chasing a group of turkeys. And it's getting to where I regularly see bobcat tracks around my parents' chicken houses. I think it may be time to work on the bobcat population around my place a little bit.
I did a little research on how to trap a bobcat, but most of what I read suggested using steel leg traps, which I understand to be illegal in Florida. My question is this. Has anyone had any luck trapping a bobcat in a live trap like the kind you catch raccoons in?
If so, how did you bait it, and any tips? I'm afraid the live-trap I have may be a tad small for a bobcat.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Danibeth

Re: Bobcat question

Post by Danibeth »

Don't know how to answer your question on how to trap. Only experience I've ever had with bobcats is while turkey hunting. I had one stalking me early one morning, thinking I was a tasty hen turkey. I heard a little bit of slow walking behind me and nothing was happening so I turned around and about two feet away was a bobcat stopped in mid stalk. Wish I'd had my camera. But we looked at each other for a full minute before she turned around (after throwing me a VERY disgusted look like only cats can give) and then ambled off.

What are you going to do with the bobcat once you catch it? I'm not gonna get all up in arms about you killing a predator or anything like that, I'm just curious if you'll eat it/them. If not, I'd be interested in at least the backstraps/loins. I've had mountain lion loin (no I didn't kill it) and I'm curious how bobcat would compare.

Danibeth
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I just figured I'd throw him in the compost pile, never considered eating one. I've never even considered killing or trapping one until last night. But, after reading your response, I did a quick google search and found that some people claim it is delicious. Others say that bobcat meat is the best bait you can use for catching other predators.
I just checked FWC's website and saw that there is a season for trapping or shooting bobcats, and that you need a permit to trap them. I've gotten a depredation permit from FWC before for the deer getting in the blueberries, but they only give that permit for commercial agriculture. I don't think my backyard chicken coup would qualify.
We had a licensed trapper help us curb the skunk population a couple of years ago. I may give him a call and see if he's interested in a bobcat pelt, but the season on bobcat ended in March, so, I dunno.
If I do happen to figure it out, I'll send you a PM and you can have the backstraps if you want em, but it's starting to look like my best bet is to just try and make my chicken coup bobcat proof.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Directly from the FWC website:

-----
The Gun and Light at Night Permit authorizes individuals to take depredating wildlife (beaver, bobcat, fox, opossum, rabbit, raccoon, otter, skunk or nutria) at night with a gun and light on land that they own or possess the written permission of the landowner. Under special restrictions, authorizes harassment (scaring) deer causing damage to crops with a gun and light at night.
The permit is not required to take wild hog, coyote, armadillo, black or Norway rat, and house mouse, with a gun and light during non-daylight hours.
Cost: $0.00

-----

http://myfwc.com/license/wildlife/nuisa ... gun-light/

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Thanks Dubble, I'll have to look into that.
I know that with the deer depredation permit, it has to be on commercial farm, and you have to be able to show an FWC officer the damage that is occurring, along with tracks or other signs that prove what species is causing the damage (not to mention that there are a lot of other seemingly crazy restrictions that go along with it). I'm not sure that I would qualify for this one with a backyard chicken coup, but it's worth checking into. Thanks.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

If it is on my land, I am going to deal with it as I see fit. The goberment can go pound sand! Practice the three S's. Shoot, shovel and shut up! salute1
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!